Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Buying and Selling Friends on Facebook

I'm taking a quick break in my Leadership Series to express myself AS I'm feeling some anger. I believe it is righteous anger, so I am speaking up about it.

I've got a problem with the 2 applications (I'm aware of) on facebook that are based around buying and selling your friends. Now I understand they're just games and they're based around how much your friends "value" you or having your friends as "pets," but these may just serve to desensitize us a bit to Human Traffiking.

Now I don't know about you, but one of the LAST things I want is to be desensitized to Human Traffiking! HT is a ghastly blight on all societies and humankind. When I even THINK of a small aspect of HT, I get seriously messed up inside. Anger, frustration, pain and a whole bunch of other feelings like that come rising up almost uncontrollably. Do I like that? No, but it is necessary if I am to stand up and fight against it.

I could throw some stats at you or talk about individuals who have been kidnapped into the world of HT, but I won't do that here. Not now. You just need to know my naked anger that we as human beings tolerate anything that even smacks of this vile practice.

I just blocked both of those applications on facebook. I don't know for sure what that means, but I'm hoping that if anyone tried to invite me any more, the invite will not come through. If not, I'm telling you right here, IF YOU CONSIDER YOURSELF MY "FRIEND" ON FACEBOOK YOU WILL NOT INVITE ME ANYMORE TO BUY OR SELL HUMAN BEINGS! I WILL NOT TAKE PART! I may be dropping friends on the spot who send me any more of these invites.

I ask you to do think about this and maybe do the same thing. If you're using either of those apps- shame on you! What were you thinking?!

Perhaps a group should be formed against these games (although I believe facebook won't allow groups "against" other things). Perhaps we need to look into this. Maybe we can write a petition to facebook? If anyone has any suggestions that you know will work, please let me know. I'm willing to put some serious time into this, because I believe this practice must be stopped.

Human Traffiking is NOT a game and we should NOT be involved in supporting it in ANY way.

3 comments:

Alberta Rockstar said...

when i saw ur status it clicked like instantaiously, and i deleted the app, Intense stuff!

u know whats funny tho, i dont think i send u many app invites cuz ur name starts with D, and i just send to the people that are A names.

Seeker of The Light said...

UPDATE: MS (way to go!) has created a group on facebook called "Considering Human Traffiking, There's Something Wrong with Friends for Sale."

If you're on facebook, look it up and join in the fight against Human Traffiking.

Anonymous said...

You appear to suffer from a severe lack of common sense. If you have the ability to transform what amounts to a card swapping, online game, into human trafficking, I hope you're never put in a position of power where to get to influence or convince others to agree with you; based on your lines of thought, every game ever made where a computer opponent is killed would amount to a form of murder, way to go.

Open your bible to say Exodus 21:2-6, or Exodus 21:7-11, or do a google search, and read that the bible seems to condone slavery, but of course, no religion in their right mind will say it, they will in fact just try to explain it away. Ive heard all such explanations, I don't believe any of them; I don't even have enough space here to list the places in the bible where killing was justified in some way.

I class myself as a Humanist. I believe in life, fairness, justice and am willing to help protect it, with my life if need be. Your narrow minded ideas are not welcome, and are, in my eyes, a harmful comparison, that if believed, would drag us back to the stone age. They show that you have no grasp of reality whatsover. In future, maybe you should consider keeping such thoughts to yourself.