Tuesday, March 25, 2008

This is Who I am

We are known by a variety of "titles." These titles represent things we do. For instance, I am a Dad, spouse, musician, officer, friend, man, blogger, teacher, Rays fan, son, boss, etc.

You may know me by one of these titles, but each is only a facet of what I do, not who I am. If you ask "Who are you?" these titles by themselves actually tell you very little. They may even conjure up inaccuracies based on what you understand a particular title to mean to you.

It depends on who asks me "Who are you?" as to what my answer will be. If my child asks that question, it would be ridiculous for me to respond with "I'm a teacher" or "I'm an officer." For them to relate to me, I need to offer an answer that will mean something to them, like: "I'm a father." If I'm visiting a corps in another country, it would be more important for me to answer "I'm an officer," than to tell them "I'm a boss." Being an officer has relevance, while being a boss means little to develop a relationship connection. So if you are interested in discovering who I am, it would be better for me to tell you something personal about myself.

When I meet you for the first time, I choose to answer this question by offering more than a simple facet of what I do. I choose to offer more. I choose to offer you myself. I choose to offer you my identity; my name. My name is a very personal thing and it means all of my titles rolled into one- and more!

In knowing someone's name, you have a certain power over them. For instance, you can call their name out loud and they will turn around to answer that call. You can look them up in the phone book, get their phone number or address and find them.

In my journey of life and figuring out who I am, God once told me "Your identity is not in your uniform." He told me I am much more than that- I am "Doug" to him. So when I introduce myself, I offer the most I can to you- I tell you "I am Doug."

It means a lot to me spiritually to offer what I have discovered about myself. I choose to offer myself to you- my name. I want you to know I am not higher than you or better than you, I want to be equal with you- "I am Doug."

God chose to give us his name- his personal name, not just a title like God, Lord, Jehovah or Almighty. He gave us Yahweh so we could know him. God wanted to share himself with us. Wow!

Jesus said to his disciples "I don't want to lord it over you, I call you my friends and I want you to think of me as your friend. I want you to know me for who I am, not just what I do."

If Jesus can do this; if God can do this, I can certainly do this. In fact, I would consider myself remiss if I chose to do anything less.

Don't call me a musician, although I am one.
Don't call me an officer, although I am one.
Don't call me a blogger, although I am one . . .

Who am I? I am Doug. Please call me Doug. It's the best I can offer you and I choose to give you power over me because I want you to know me and be my friend.

3 comments:

jsi said...

God's name is amazing, powerful, awesome and incredible.

Thank you for a wise word tonight...Doug.

Christin ><> said...

thank you for your words.....this idea of the "name" keeps coming up this week, so this is confirmation for me. thank you doug.

Larry said...

Doug,

I have been saying this type of stuff for the past few years. One day I hope we will all define ourselves by who we are in God and not just what we do in the world.