Thursday, December 01, 2005

Casting Pearls Before Swine

Ouch! That phrase sounds a bit tough, huh? But when we take a closer look, Jesus is not telling us that those people who fight against us are pigs! Rather, he is giving us an example that animals cannot value the things we do and we should not expect them to. Therefore we should always be careful with those things that we value, but we cannot expect others to necessarily have our same values.

Here's a good example I got from a friend today: There is nothing we can do to teach a baby to value a fine antique vase- except show them our value of it as they grow up. If they respect us, over the years they too will learn to value the vase. One day, they may even be entrusted with its safekeeping.

I think the growing up part is important. Kids have little experience in life. The younger they are, the less experience. As they grow up, they have more experiences. Through it all, they learn to value some things and not value other things. What they learn to value depends on their experience.

Those who do not have our experience, will not have our values. We cannot expect them to understand why some things are important to us and others are not. In fact, it often works in reverse as well. What one person values another does not. That's where the saying came from: "One person's trash is another person's treasure."

What I have come to realize is I cannot teach another person to appreciate my spiritual values. I can discuss, argue and/or beat them over the head, but until and unless Holy Spirit gives them individual revelation the best I can do is pray for them. And continue to talk with them in hopes that God will use my mere words to jumpstart the process.

Then I work real hard at not letting them pull me or my values down. But that's the real hard part, huh?

No comments: