Sunday, April 30, 2006

Healing Service

This evening we had our first healing service of the year. Previously we had been led to hold a healing service once a month for a few months in a row. We had reports of healings and one "major" healing that was incredible! Since our results were so successful in the past, I was disappointed we had so few actually come to pray or be prayed for. It almost makes me want to "shut people down" in the future if they come to me complaining of some health issue, if they can't come when we plan a special time for healing. What do people want- an special personal invitation? You can bet they will request the officer to come visit when they end up in the hospital! {Okay Doug, relax. Breathe.}

We haven't had a healing service for some time. Not sure why- I guess we end up doing so many things, and finding new things to focus on, we forget the last thing God has led us to focus on. Kinda like working on a golf swing- as you learn another aspect to pay attention to, the old one fades and you need to be reminded of it again. There's just so many things to keep track of in Christianity!

But I have recently heard of some physical issues from our people that needed healing and God nudged me toward scheduling another healing service. I complied and well, we had our first healing service of the year! {I really did expect more than 7 people would come.}

As a student of "people watching," I find it interesting to see the uncomfortable looks and body language as we gathered. We're never quite sure what's going to happen in such a setting, so we kind of stand back to watch from a safe distance. That passed after a few minutes in prayer and we had a very powerful time of prayer. Here's my take on the event:

I decided we would ask those who wanted prayer to sit in the middle of the room. The rest would gather around them and pray as they felt led- for all or individually. Then we would spend a focused time on each person in the middle. The intent was to prayer-soak the people requesting healing. Once we "got going," we would put our attention toward each issue individually.

Three ended up seated in the middle, the other four surrounded them and moved freely throughout the room, praying, kneeling or reading scripture.

Prayer started out slowly, but quickly gathered momentum. When Gene prayed, he really got us moving and I didn't want to lose the "charge in our spirits." At one point it seemed Gene got a rhema word on the healing of one person (meaning God confirms the word in our spirit at that moment and it is easy to believe). His prayer was so powerful and his confidence so strong about the person's healing, I was very excited! I'm looking forward to a report of no more cancer!

Once we had prayed generally, we turned to each person, anointed them with oil and spent time gathered around them and their issue. I was one person requesting healing for a pain in my hip/leg (as of the next day, it is still hurting, but I'm not finished praying yet!). We'd appreciate your prayers with us against cancer, diabetes and that pain in my leg.

I believe much power was released in our prayer time and we will see exciting results soon. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

kathryn said...

I wish I'd been there to pray too! I think its fabulous that you did another healing time!!!! I will pray that you and your people who requested healing will have it. Today I had an email request from a friend, for me to pray for a young mother on life support, with terminal reactivated cancer. . Doug, I don't know how to pray for this!!! I'm afraid to ask God for healing if He doesn't heal her. . I'd feel like an idiot and I don't know if he gets annoyed or even mad if I get all bold and tell him that I want him to heal her. . cuz what if that's not what he has in mind. . but why wouldn't he want to? and why does she have to be so ill? its not fair. Do I not have enough faith? but I do have some faith. . and I want to pray for this woman.

I hope you have another healing service soon. I will pray for all the people of your corps, that they would want to practice getting better and better at asking and seeking and believing and trusting. I'm wanting to do the same.

Seeker of The Light said...

James 5:13-18 (NIV)
Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise. 14 Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. 16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.
17 Elijah was a man just like us. He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years. 18 Again he prayed, and the heavens gave rain, and the earth produced its crops.

This is not a suggestion, it is a command. If someone is sick- do this. Remember, God did NOT create sickness- Satan is to blame, by distorting the good God created. It is not God's will that people be sick- it wasn't even his original intention for humankind to die!

Alas! The physical third of us is aflicted by the fall and the curse that came because of it. We need to learn how to use the other 2/3s of who we are (spiritual and emotional) to fight against the physical when it goes bad on us. Scripture says all of creation is waiting for the day to be released from that curse.

But in the meantime, we need to go to God and pray like crazy for wholeness.