Saturday, October 21, 2006

My Favorite Worship Leaders

I love music! All kinds of music. Opera and Country are the only two styles I don't enjoy, so I listen to a wide variety. But over the last few years I have settled into listening to "Praise and Worship" more than anything else. I've developed quite an extensive CD collection of music and downloaded mp3 files that "put me into God's presence." And that's really why I listen to such music a lot- I want to be in God's presence and am interested in doing anything that will help me get there.

What I've noticed about Praise and Worship music is that the person singing and/or leading makes a HUGE difference in whether or not the music touches my s
pirit and ushers me into heaven's throne room. This comes as no surprise, since I've noticed over the years this same difference in performers of Army music- such as Black Dyke Mills band versus the Star Lake Band playing Resurgam. While Black Dyke is flawless in this incredible piece, when all is said and done, it doesn't touch your spirit like the Lake Band does even with all the errors.

Bottom line: the spirit of the person presenting the music makes all the difference in the outcome.

So herein, I'd like to take some space over the next few days to tell you about those Worship Leaders who hold a special place in my own times of worship.


Without a doubt, Lindell Cooley is #1 for me. He was the Worship Leader for the Brownsville Assembly of God Church in Pensacola, Florida during the incredible revival years. If you want more info on his life and ministry, here's a link for his biography http://www.mmi-inc.com/biography.htm.

I first heard him live at a conference I attended a few years ago and I was blown away by his fun music style(s) and amazing sensitivity to the Holy Spirit. In my experience, there is n
o one who I have seen so consistently usher a room of worshiping believers into God's holy presence. Here is an incredibly talented and gifted worshiper.

Ever since that first experience with Lindell, I've collected his CDs and often listen to them while praying SonDay AMs in my chapel in Bangor (and other times). Here is a page of his CDs from worshipmusic.com http://www.worshipmusic.com/lindellcooley.html#top.


It's hard to pick a favorite album, but here is one of them (pictured here) "Open up the Sky." There are many others right up there with it, like "Freedom," "Desperate for You" (awesome Gospel style), "Quiet Songs" (for meditation and prayer), "Send the Fire" and "Songs from the Great Revivals" (which includes an old Army favorite- "Send the Fire").

Take a listen to Lindell Cooley and let me know what you think.

No comments: