Monday, November 27, 2006

Real Beauty?

As a certified computer geek, I subscribe to ALL of Kim Komando's newsletters. Kim Komando, for all you non-geeks, is the "digital goddess" (her phrase) of all things digital- computers, digital cameras, etc. She has a weekly radio show and website (www.komando.com) that helps people keep up to date with- well, you guessed it- all things digital.

Anyway, today I received her "Cool Site of the Day" Newsletter and it included the following video on the Dove website. It is very interesting what happens on the "documentary." I won't spoil it for you, but make sure you catch the "photoshopping" (digital photo enhancement) of the final picture, before it hits the advertising billboard.

Is there any way we normal humans can compete with this?

http://www.campaignforrealbeauty.com/

I say, we don't need to compete. While I'm not necessarily pushing Dove's advertising campaign, I do agree with the message. It is not the outward appearance that makes a person beautiful.

(And let's not forget it's not just about the girls)

3 comments:

Aurora said...

that's incredible! I remember seeing a doc on one of the supermodels from the '80's on her way to work, and she was almost unreckognizable in person....
That's one of the things I can't stand about the entertainment/advertising industry, is that they make us fall in love with an impossible image, so that we become dissatisfied with the ordinary things in life that are beautiful as they are....I had a dream along those lines a while back, where people were at this gourmet buffet restaurant, picking and choosing from anything they wanted, but once they sat down at the table to eat, everyone was sending their orders back to the kitchen...the flavor wasn't the right one, or they decided they'd rather have shrimp instead, or whatever the complaint, no one was actually eating any of the food. People were chasing after people who were chasing after other people, who were so busy complaining about what was in front of them that they couldn't see the person pining away behind them. It was all VERY disturbing. When I woke up, I asked God what that was all about, and I heard the phrase "I want my people to be SATISFIED" and a flood of other promises like those who hunger and thirst for righteousness WILL BE FILLED (Matt 5:6), and whatever you ask for IN MY NAME you will have it (John 14:14), "Delight yourself IN THE LORD and I will give you the desires of your heart."(Psalm 37:4)

Aurora said...

SO the process is more about refocusing our desires instead of the things that delight the flesh, to looking toward the things that delight the Spirit of God, and to be thankful for all the wonderful blessings He has poured out on our lives.
THAT's where the springs come up in desert places, and the people become lights in dark places, and the JOY of the LORD is our strength...when we are filled up with God first.

Andrew Bale said...

Thanks for this Doug,

I didn't even know that such a 'trust' existed as the Father of three girls (8,10 and 22) I am very aware of the pressures on all of us to look perfect.

When you hear of well known Christian speakers admitting to cosmetic surgey (so they can look their best for Jesus) it makes you cringe.

I will pass this link on.

Thanks again

Love and prayers

Andrew