Friday, February 02, 2007

Being Transparent (Part 2)

* Continuing on about Being Transparent, there is another facet that needs to be addressed if we sincerely want to be truthful at all times. It has to do with "politics" and to some people, this is a very important thing.

For instance, there are some who are very concerned with how they are perceived from within their organization. They go out of their way to present a good, solid (safe) picture to their leaders of who they are. This is done even if deep down they aren't really the people they represent. The hope is that they will be seen in a good light by their leaders and therefore be "promoted" to a particular place within the organization they want to be in. The assumption is that if they do not play the party politics, they will be overlooked and end up in a career dead end.

The problem with this line of thinking, is twofold. First, if you are not really the person you pretend to be, then when you get to that place you wanted to be in, you aren't really who "they" think you are and the "real you" will create conflict with those very people you wanted to impress. This could end up being a very hard thing for you AND the organization.

Second (and perhaps even more important than the first), if you pretend to be someone you are not for too long, you may actually become that person! Then when you get to that place you wanted to be in (maybe because you desired to change things within the system), you cannot make change because you have changed yourself and look a lot like what you wanted to change in the first place. And when do you actually "get" to that place where you can let your guard down? How long do you have to "play the game" before you can shed that image and really be who you are? There's always one more step.

This is scary! And not just a little bit convoluted!

Here's my plan as it relates to my life goal of Being Transparent: I want to be who I am at all times. What you see is what you get. I want to say what I would say and not what someone else would say. When you look at me, I want you to know who I am and not have to wonder what you're getting. I am NOT you, so I will necessarily be different. God values diversity (he made us all different, didn't he?).

I believe that if I operate this way, then God will be pleased and he will be my advocate (if I need one). I don't have to worry about the politics. If he wants me somewhere within my organization then he will arrange it. If he doesn't want me there (and it's my own idea or desire) then I really don't want to get there anyway. "His way is best. You see, I'm in His hands."

When it all comes down to it, my first life goal relates too: "I want to be Faithful to my God." If I am who my God wants me to be and I do what my God wants me to do, then I shouldn't have any problems in THIS particular organization. That's because The Salvation Army values truth and faithfulness to God.

- - - - -

* In case you're wondering why you can't view my picture, wonder no more. It's another picture of Invisible Girl. This time she's totally transparent!

1 comment:

Seeker of The Light said...

Beracah: Thanx for the good word. It means the world to me that I was able to be helpful to you. That's what I try to do with this blog.

I get a variety of comments (most in person, not left on the blog) with varied responses. Some are not so encouraging, but I keep plugging away so I can help and influence as many as I can.