Thursday, February 01, 2007

Being Transparent (Part 1)

* Way back on March 31, 2005 I posted God's Purpose for Doug Burr (click on the link to check it out). I didn't go into much detail at the time, but recently I have been thinking a lot about one of my life goals: "Be Transparent." Here are some of my thoughts on what it means:

It seems to me that when people communicate, there are really two things being said. The first is what words are actually spoken and the second being the truth that is hidden behind their words.
So as we grow up with this happening all around us, we have to learn what people mean- not what is actually said. Some of us get very good at filtering out the actual words and hearing what WOULD be said if the person were honest enough to say it.

To that, I say: "PHOOEY!"

Now I understand this is going to happen between non-Christians. Also when Christians are dealing with non-Christians they will still have to know this "secret code," but between Christians, there should be none of it! I believe we should be transparent- meaning we say what we mean and mean what we say (WE should also be that way with non-Christians even if it brings difficulty).

Here's an example: Three friends just finished dinner; one needs a ride home. The two with cars chat about who will take their friend home. Friend One says: "It doesn't matter to me- I'll take her or you can take her." But REALLY, he wants to get home to catch the game on TV. If he has to take Friend Three home, he'll miss some of it. Rather than say that, he says what is "acceptable" in such a situation to not look bad. If Friend Two knows Friend One well enough, he MIGHT pick up on what is happening. Then again, he might not- it depends on how well he knows "the code." Now there's a good chance Friend One ends up taking Friend Three home and THEN getting mad at the Friend Two for NOT taking her! You know what I'm talking about- you've been there right?

How ridiculous this is! Why not speak the truth and teach your friends that you want to be transparent? Eventually we all 1) get to know each other better, 2) practice telling the truth, and 3) don't have to wonder what other people are thinking and how we should REALLY respond. It's all a whole lot simpler!

I'm trying to be transparent. I know the "secret code" is out there, but I'm trying to get people to understand that I don't want to play that game.

More to follow.

- - - - -

* If you don't understand why I posted a picture of a girl with a four on her shirt: She is a Marvel super heroine of the Fantastic Four named Invisible Girl. Get it now? Invisible . . . Transparent?

2 comments:

BrownEyedGirl said...

This seems to be a hot topic lately. I have found that God always honors transparency. It sometimes hurts but those who hope in HIM will never be put to shame! It's been a constant lesson in my life. It really is letting TRUTH out in all we say and do. - Blessings

Seeker of The Light said...

Right- it sometimes hurts to be truthful instead of playing "the game." But you're also right that God will cover those who practice his way of doing things! He's never let me down!