Friday, February 09, 2007

Operating in the Natural in a Spiritual Environment (Part 2)

So if operating in the Natural is not valid in a Spiritual Environment, then how do we go about operating in the Spiritual? Jack Hayford mentions it in his article (if you haven't read it yet, go back to yesterday's entry). What do we do?

Listen to God.

Now I fully realize that stymies cessationists, because they think God can only speak to us through the Bible. But more and more people are coming on board with actually listening to God in prayer and expecting him to personally answer. I must admit it's something I was not taught to do as a child.

God tells us in Scripture:

Call to me and I will answer you and show you great and unsearchable things you do not know. - Jeremiah 33:3

He also says:

You will hear a voice say, "This is the way; turn around and walk here." - Isaiah 30:21

Enough defending hearing God's voice. God speaks. What else is there to say?

However I was intrigued by Jack Hayford's way of approaching God. Instead of assuming (because he is a successful pastor in a large church) that whatever he wanted to do was anointed of God, he actually asked God what he should ask for!

You know, I've been listening to God speak to me personally for a few years now, and I still keep discovering new ways to ask him things! This is another new way and I like it. Especially as it relates to the "business" of the church.

What if we started asking God what we should do instead of the "business gurus" out there that have written all those books on leadership? Would we make decisions that would stymie the gurus? Of course we would! If we were listening to God, then those choices would turn out for the best even if the gurus
would cringe at our seeming lack of good sense.

I seem to remember a story in the Bible about a town called Jericho. What was the battle plan God gave them? What? March around the city 7 times for 7 days? What!? Shout at the walls!? Are you crazy?!?

Did it work?

Who in their "right mind" would EVER suggest such a ridiculous military plan? But it was God's idea and there was no guess-work to it.

I'd like to suggest we actually start listening to God for ALL the decisions we have to make relating to our corps. We would certainly make some people nervous, because we would begin doing some really weird things!

But they would work! Assuming we were actually listening to God- not just asking him to rubber-stamp our plans. You see, God is NOT obligated to support our ideas, but he IS obligated to support his own!

Listening to God IS Operating in the Spiritual. That's what I'd like to do. Now, I have been doing this for some things, but I must admit I have not been doing it for everything.

I'm going to start. Anyone out there with me?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'd like to operate this way for all parts of my life, with all of myself. . *kat here. . havin' troubles with Google account*