Monday, July 10, 2006

Guest Blogger #1

Today I offer a guest blogger- my brother Howie. He just got home from this year's Booth-Tucker Institute (BTI) in Vancouver, Canada. I know you'll be blessed by his reflections. There's more to come soon (I'm waiting on one more guest blogger to share her experience at BTI this year).

Reflections of the Booth Tucker Institute
by Howard Burr

My brother Doug made me do it! Ok, he just talked me into it by sharing his experiences with me and I wanted a similar blessing. My initial purpose in attending was to experience how a Salvation Army cell group church operates in the poorest postal code in Canada, because we want to start planting them in the Eastern Territory. My personal desire was to rekindle the Holy Spirit's flame in my spirit. Little did I know...


After the Thursday evening worship (very free and open) I went to catch several hours of sleep before I had the 2:00 - 5:00 AM shift in the War Room - a 24/7 prayer room in what we would call a "Welfare" hotel. I walked to the War Room past the many drug addicts and few scurrying rats on the street. It was a wonderful experience that goes by quickly as you talk with God and look over His lost children on the street below.


My sleep deprived morning began as all others (except Sunday when we chose which local Army service to attend) with knee drill which is praying and reading the Bible out loud while walking. We would then would have a presentation by Steve Court, Danielle Strickland, Ian Gillingham or a guest lecturer. The teaching was filled with the power of the Holy Spirit processed through holy men and women. (Your heart always knows the difference.) Then Lisa Luxford and I would prayer walk the streets and alleys of the community until lunch. Meals were eaten at the Harbor Light Center.


After lunch the BTI challenge took place - let's just call it experiments with innovative evangelism.Mary and I were pushed outside our comfort zone. We opened up a street healing prayer station and other teams responded with similar creativity.This was followed by "dusting off", a time of listening prayer and prophetic encouragement which often was a highlight of the day. The day would end with squad, which was discussion of several revolutionary Salvation Army articles that pushed everyone to think Biblically about what we believe and do.


During the week, I was personally schooled three times by War College students who did not even know they were showing me how to do evangelism right. I was invited to the beach with a group and they started singing and began an unplanned open air. I tried to teach truth to those who came over and no one wanted to listen. It seems that my generation looks for truth, but this generation wants to know what is real first. A simple testimony was far more effective than any logic I had to share. In the second "lesson" I was walking on the street with another student when we walked by a drug addict in a midday withdrawal dance. My thoughts were ineffective but the student dealt with the situation with practical love and direction - almost as an afterthought. The third lesson was in the value of relationships being far more powerful than I had imagined. It was a humbling, wonderful learning experience.


The most profound treasure was meeting other world revolutionaries and forming lifelong relationships - ok, eternity long relationships - with friends who urge you on to do great things for our Lord. Thank you, Ian, for pouring yourself out for all of us. Kathleen, you are the New Songs Colonel. Andrew & Fleur, I saw Jesus in you every day. Mary, Doug has no idea who the warrior is who is coming back to the corps from BTI! Bram & Anita - your joy in the Lord's service made me want to be young, go back to Training School and start all over again. Sherri, Mary & the Karlstens - thank you for your love and witness to me. Finally, special thanks to Steve and Danielle for your Great Commission vision and love.


Finally, I wanted fresh fire from BTI. After my second War Room shift I got up the next day and got a cup of seniors coffee (yes, I am that old!) at McDonald's and read my Bible by the window. I was reading in Ezekiel when I realized I was crying. I did not look cool in any way and I did not care. God the Holy Spirit showed up and ministered to some deep places in my spirit. Later that week I started crying while walking down the street in simple gratitude to my Lord. I am home now and the fire still burns. My prayer life will not let the fire grow dim again. I never want to flag in zeal all my days.


So here is the bottom line. Go see for yourself. If you want to do something revolutionary in your life for Jesus Christ, I suggest that you attend the Booth Tucker Institute. If you are considering attending the War College you will never be sorry. Tired, yes, but sorry? Never.

3 comments:

Soulpadre said...

Awesome!

kathryn said...

what an awesome account of your experiences there! I pray for you that your zeal will keeping increasing and that you will have continued opportunities to serve

Joel Spencer said...

God is moving.