Monday, July 03, 2006

A Starter or a Minor Leaguer?

A while ago, someone commented on my (and my wife's) officership. They were impressed with how many things we do well, but felt there was one thing lacking. They told us if we could just get that one thing going, we'd be good officers.

At that moment I mostly agreed with them. The thing they mentioned really could use improvement and it had bothered both Debbie and I for some years that no matter what we'd tried over the years, that one thing always seemed to be our one "unsuccess."

After awhile, this aspect of our ministry became a sore spot or me (and Debbie too, as we had many concerned discussions about it). This sore spot has grown to become a depressing thing for me and has eaten up a huge amount of my energy and spiritual resources to the point where I have been in a kind of spiritual funk lately.

I am a HUGE believer in the Body of Christ; that each person is created for a specific purpose and is gifted to accomplish that purpose. We are NOT gifted to accomplish someone else's purpose or another part of the Body.

The problem with human beings, though, is we too often take things into our own hands and decide what is important rather than listen to what God says is important.

I know my giftings. I have worked for many years specifically on what it is God wants me to do. Knowing my purpose not only helps me do what God wants, it also frees me to NOT do what God DOESN'T want.

Not that God doesn't want this specific "unsuccess" of ours to be accomplished- he just doesn't want it from us (believe me, I've asked and prayed until God has reminded me of my purpose over and over again). When we focus on that one point, what we were created to do goes undone. Or at the very least, gets done less well.

Who are we to tell God how he wants to use us in his plan of salvation?

Imagine a baseball player telling his coach how to best use him: "I don't want to play outfield, I want to play second base!" Oh, sorry- Soriano tried that this year! But by listening to his coach, he did what the team needed and has become an outstanding outfielder- even just being voted as a starter onto the All-Star team as an outfielder!

You know, I'd rather be a starter at what God wants me to do than a sub-standard minor-leaguer at what someone else thinks I should do.

2 comments:

Aurora said...

When I was learning how to be a music teacher, part of the discipline was to learn the mechanics of every instrument in the band. I had to learn my way around bassoon, saxophone, trumpet, oboe, percussion, flute, cello and guitar so that I could one day teach others how to play their part. I had to be a 'jack of all trades' in some respects so that I could give my future students some primary basics around the instrument of their choice.
I think that's the same in ministry. Someone needs to model/teach at least the basics so that people can sort out where they should be placed. Of course the best way to learn is from an expert, but to begin by being given options/opportunities to try new things is an important first step. (Of course, how that works out practically in real life situations, I have no idea!!--how do prophets learn to prophesy if there is no one to model prophecy? How do intercessors go deeper in their gifting without getting together with other intercessors, sharing their experience with eachother, reading books on intercession, and actually praying for people?)

Seeker of The Light said...

Remember the rest of the saying: "Jack of all trades, master of none."

I too, learned many instruments while getting my degree in Music. I play none of them well- except my primary instrument (well, some would argue that too).

My guess is that the conductor would rather me play what I was "hired" to play and not focus on what someone else's job is.

You ever heard of the saying: "Those who can't do, teach?" Rather than taking that as a bad thing, I think there are those who are gifted at helping others learn what their part is and helping them get moving in their role to play.

In fact, chck out my "About Me" to the upper right . . . Hmmm. :)