Thursday, October 13, 2005

I Have Learned to Listen (Most of the Time!)

One thing God has tried to teach me throughout my marriage to Debbie, is to listen to her. Sounds almost silly, but I mean it. Here's why:

1) Debbie and I are joined as one in God's eyes. We should learn to act like it. I am not about the old way of thinking that says "the man is the head of the house" and uses that to make all the final decisions. God designed man and woman to be a team. When sin came into the picture, the whole "man is in charge thing" was her curse for their disobedience. When we get back to a right relationship with God, there should be no more evidence of a curse! Jesus came to break all that junk!

2) I don't know everything. Although I often think I have all the answers (a character flaw?), there's nothing much further from the truth. I need to get all the advise I can get before I come down on one side of a situation. It's good to have someone you can trust to help you made decisions. I have learned to trust Debbie.

3) Debbie has a gifting in Wisdom. How stupid would I be if I didn't listen to that?

Now that's not to say she's always right either. I said we work together. That's the way it should be. If it isn't like that in your relationship, then something's wrong.

2 comments:

Aurora said...

Good words, Doug(and timely!)
Satan's got a huge attack on marriage in the lives of my close friends and relatives these days. Thank you for sharing your story.

Hezza said...

good on ya bro...much love...your daughter Heather