Friday, October 21, 2005

One of my Greatest Frustrations, Part 2

Have you heard that the average US pastor prays something like 3 minutes a day? I know I've had days like that, but I can't imagine being a Christian without more than that. I mean you can't really BE a Christian without praying more than that can you (food for thought)?

The problem is that many Christians actually fall into that same category. They are prayerless and therefore powerless. After years of not expereincing any real power in their lives, they begin to believe that's all there is to Christianity; that we are to go through life with a Western worldview that precludes any spiritual power. I've seen lots of them! Too many. And they can only teach what they know.

Here's the rub: though they themselves have not experienced real power in their lives, they argue that anyone else who testifies of more is crazy or suspect. They throw around terms like "Pentecostal" or "charismatic" as if those are supposed to be insulting (by the way, I am not Pentecostal. That is a denominational reference and my denomination is The Salvation Army. I am, however, charismatic. That means you move in the charisma [greek] or gifts of the Spirit).

My frustration is that these people are causing more problems in the church than they are helping solve. And one day they are going to be extremely sad when Jesus points out to them that they were road blocks to his Spirit's desires in the world around them. Scripture calls this practice "quenching-" in other words, putting out the Spirit's fire. Woe unto quenchers!

So we move forward. Sometimes we move with difficulty because we have Christian brothers and sisters blocking our way and even fighting against us. It should not be so. But we move forward nonetheless. Sometimes these people even have authority over us. It is at these times we must move with caution because we should submit to our authorities as David did with Saul (even though Saul was totally off the wall, David listened to God and treated Saul with respect and dignity).

I pray for these people. Not that I don't have my own issues, but I hope I don't fight against what God is doing around me. In my eyes, to discover you were a roadblock while standing before Jesus on that day would be one of the most terrible things imaginable.

God help us.

No comments: