Thursday, September 22, 2005

The Exorcism of Emily Rose, 3

I guess one of the things that will "bother" many Protestants about this movie is the strong Catholic theology (of course it would be Catholic, since it's about a Catholic girl, her family and their priest).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
SPOILER WARNING! If you haven't seen the movie yet, but still want to, don't read any further until after you've seen the movie. I'm giving away story info that could "spoil" it for you!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

For instance, at the end when Emily has a vision of Mary, who tells her she can "leave" now or stay and help others by her experience. I'll talk more about this particular happening in a later blog, but for now I want to focus on the Mary part.

Some Protestants will think it's all "baloney" because they would wonder why she would envision Mary and not Jesus directly. But I have heard of people who have seen Paul in a vision or William Booth or some other esteemed Christian who has gone on before. Even Jesus met with Moses and Elijah (I know this is a bit different, because he actually met with them and didn't just see them in a vision, but it makes my point anyway).

And my point is, some people have seen Christian greats in visions whom they have esteemed. And their vision is accepted (I know there are those who won't accept that, but that's another whole issue entirely). If one was taught to esteem William Booth (esteem, here- not worship), it would make perfect sense for God to allow someone to see Booth in a vision, bringing a word they needed to hear from God. I have read accounts of such things and because of my faith in the people relating the story, I believe them. So why would we discount someone recounting a vision of Mary, who is one Catholics have obviously been taught to esteem?

And while Protestants don't believe Mary is necessary to the process of salvation (and not all Catholics do either), we must believe she set a Godly example we should all follow. I mean, when an angel shows up to tell her what's going to happen to her, she effectively says "May it be as you wish." When I read scripture, I usually find others saying things to the effect of, "Who, me? Are you crazy God?" Mary deserves some more respect in Protestant circles. And perhaps some Protestants need to be more careful of their "worship" of Paul?

So why couldn't Mary "speak" to Emily in a vision? I think it's a valid experience that sounds "right up God's alley" of ways to get our attention.

I've never had a vision of anyone, be it angel, William Booth or even Jesus. But don't count me out- I'm not finished yet!

No comments: