Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Form a Committee!


I just couldn't resist- this is seriously funny! Or is it?

It's funny in the sense that it is ridiculous. It's not funny in the sense that it's true. Especially in large "corporations" like The Salvation Army. When did quick action for capitalization take the back seat to the over questioning and distrust of committees?

The sad part is we weren't always like this. In our beginnings everything was streamlined to promote quick action all across the board. If we made mistakes, we let them go and moved on, trusting God to watch our steps and our public image.

I've written and deleted a few times here, because when discussing such thoughts the tendency is to get negative and complain. I don't want to do that or make this blog a place where that can thrive. So the task is to get my point across without whining (this is a "no whining zone, Debbie!").

So let us look to our own situations and see where we have promoted the committee mentality. Where have I caused this to grow? By starting in our own back yards, we can begin the process of fixing what we can in our own areas of authority and responsibility.

When a decision is needed, I'd like to see us move towards listening to those gifted in the particular subject at hand. Knowing I don't have all the answers nor the desire to learn about everything, I hire people on my staff who focus specifically in areas where I am weak. I then listen to their counsel and give them leeway to make decisions based on that expertise. I also stand behind their decisions and support them. I thank God for my Business Administrator every day! And my Program Director and my Youth Leader . . .

Of course we all have something to add to any discussion, but some are frankly out of touch in some situations and the weight of their counsel should be taken as such, knowing they will have input for other situations that should be taken more highly then. We all have our areas of knowledge.

And we should always listen carefully to the person in immediate command of a given situation. People miles away are not usually even mildly aware of the local specifics and have no idea of the implications nor what goes into the need for the decision in the first place. I believe it was Napoleon who said something like: "The general far from the battle front should always listen carefully to the Lieutenant onsite." If he didn't say it, then I'll claim it and stand by its truth!

committees have their place. Wait- I'm not sure I believe that. Any thoughts out there to convince me one way or the other?

2 comments:

YOU DONT KNOW MEEEeeee said...

i think commitees do have a lot to do with image. and what not. like- way back when, soldiers were more a part of the actual running of the SA, but now...they help run programs. its sort of like we as soldiers have lost our authority as leaders in the church (not that i know if we are all REALLY leaders in the church, but...w/e) anyhoo...so, i dunno. arent committees for like...elementary schools?
maybe we're too politically correct.

Seeker of The Light said...

Wow! That buzzard thing is sure a visual way to look at a committee! A committee of buzzards. Hmmm. I think it describes a committee very appropriately!