Saturday, September 24, 2005

The Exorcism of Emily Rose, 5

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
SPOILER WARNING! If you haven't seen the movie yet, but still want to, don't read any further until after you've seen the movie. I'm giving away story info that could "spoil" it for you!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Work out your salvation with fear and trembling." That's the Bible verse that was put on Emily's tombstone. As the camera pans away from those words, we are left with their importance still ringing true in our inner ear.

Emily took her "mission" from God seriously. If her suffering was to open an avenue by which others would hear the truth of the Gospel and turn to Jesus, then she embraced her destiny with vigor. She wrote a note to her priest explaining why she had decided not to go through further deliverance ministry. And those who read her note took her belief seriously as well. A book was written and now this movie which encourages us to think heavily about the importance of our salvation.

Whatever you think of the movie, whatever you think of demons and deliverance, whatever you think of Christianity- where you spend eternity is truly the most important decision you will ever have to make. It is forever and you cannot put it off, because not making the decision defaults to the worst possible choice of the two.

Have you begun the process of working out your salvation? I say process, because it's not just a one time thing. You must work on it constantly and grow in God's grace daily. In The Salvation Army we believe that continuance in a state of salvation depends upon continued obedient faith in Christ.
Continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose. Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life.
- Philippians 2:12b-16a

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi mr. Burr lol :) .. I have begun my process of salvation.. and i believe in god.. my faith gets stonger each and everyday when i see miracles in my own life that are working out through him :) .. god has done great things for me like bringing me up here to bangor and to meet all of you.. yet he troubles me with paths that confuse me and that are hard to take.. but i manage and still manageing .. god is an enormus part in my life right now .. he's #1 :) Amen to that.. It sounds like an inspirering movie.. but really not my type .. i have been doing really good lately, i have been sharing gods word with others and inspireing them.. a couple weeks ago i prayed for/ with brandy and i was so proud of myself i never prayed with/for anyone before.. it was powerfull and it made me think more along the lines of a carier for god :).. well ill ttus.. my email is jellybeanhst@aol.com if you want to drop a line.. lots of love and god bless you with a great day :)
loves and hugs,
C*Y*L*I*E