Friday, January 20, 2006

A Real Good 11 Days Ahead

I just realized this is my fifth trip to Vancouver's DTES (Down Town East Side) where 614 Vancouver & The War College are flourishing. While each of my trips have only been between 3 days and 2 weeks, I have still developed a connection to the community.

Yesterday I walked across town to the Crosswalk (where classes are held). On the way, I stopped by the cafe where I usually get a hot chocolate and the same girl with purple hair greeted me and took my order. I dropped into a couple of Pawn Shops and chatted with a guy about The Salvation Army, Maine weather and where he keeps the DVDs. I nodded to people as I walked through alleys that should set your teeth on edge, but actually feel quite comfortable to me. I never feel afraid, rather safe, knowing God is powerfully working in this area. Lots of memories flood my mind as I see images of Jenn, Steve, Nick, Rob, Heather and many other friends and students talking and helping people here.

I quietly slipped into the class in progress (preaching) and looked at the new class of students. I poked Olivia from behind and said hi. This is the first time I won't be getting to know the students before I start my class week. I always learned all their names, but there's many more this year. So we'll see how differently things play out this time!

I went over to the War Room and chatted with Xander and Jenni. That room has such a powerful sense of God's presence and peace! Then I hung out at Steve & Danielle's until Tara and I headed to our first session of our Listening Prayer Conference. Brad Jersak is not there (rats!), but he's not the reason I registered anyway. I want to learn more about hearing God's voice and will do whatever it takes to grow in this area. Discerning God's voice clearly is one of my life goals.

As the conference leaders taught, I heard God speaking to me about issues he wants to deal with in my life. I have a private prayer session scheduled sometime during the conference and I am expecting God to do some major clean up of unwanted junk hidden deep down and away from conscious view. I can hardly wait! Then next week, I'll pray with as many students who can fit into the schedule while I'm here.

This is going to be a real good 11 days!

No comments: