Thursday, January 19, 2006

Some Water, Some Plant . . .

I was recently questioned about the lack of numerical growth in our last couple of corps. The gist of the conversation was something like this: "Finances do well, people grow spiritually, there is a good emphasis on learning and worship, but the numbers basically remain the same. You're successful in almost every area save one. With your emphasis on 'church growth theology,' why can't you seem to grow corps?"

My first reaction was to stand up for ourselves and state that in both our last corps and current, there has been a large number of people who left during our tenure (for various reasons like death, moving away, conviction, etc), yet our numbers remain(ed) the same. If I were to graph those additions, we'd see a healthy percentage of growth. And the people added were solid Salvationists involved in the war, not dropping like flies when the going gets tough. I believe to remain the same while going through a season of pruning is a real blessing of God!

But as I was "defending" myself, it dawned on me that it was unnecessary. God always takes the point in our defense- if we let him. We can trust him to bring us through anything with a good reputation (as if our reputation matters).

And what about the gifts God has granted The Body? Everyone is not gifted to do everything. Some water, some plant, others get the result of those things and witness great growth.

I agonize over the lack of obvious growth in our appointments (and the lost in general). I want to see more people come into the saving knowledge of Jesus, Redeemer. But my role is to build a wide, solid foundation that will weather the tests of time and The Enemy. My purpose is to help others develop their ministries so that we can all- together- get about the business of winning the world. I'm not going to do it all by myself. God didn't design me that way.

I'm happy in the role God has given me. how about you?

No comments: