Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Intimidation 2

Years ago, my brother told me a valuable story that has stayed with me. I offer it here for you to think about.

"I got to a particular appointment and within a few weeks, the YPSM (Young People's Sgt-Major; lay youth leader) came to my office to resign her commission. She sighed heavily and said:

'I've been doing this job for a long time and I'm tired. There's just too much to do and with all the new ideas you've been talking about, I can't see myself being able to handle it any longer- I resign. I don't know who in the world you'll be able to find to fill my shoes. Guess you're on your own. Good luck!'

"My first thought was: 'O no! What am I going to do? We need this lady {doom, gloom, disaster, failure and other such thoughts go here as they flashed through my mind}!' Then, in a moment of Holy Spirit inspiration, I said: 'Okay. I accept your resignation. As a Christian, I'm sure you've prayed about this and if God is leading you to this conclusion, then who am I to stand in his way? Please hand in your commission. We'll begin looking for someone else to be our YPSM right away.'

"The woman was stunned; her jaw almost hit the floor. That wasn't what she thought would happen! She assumed I would beg her to stay on in the position and she would then gain control over us. Any time she was unhappy with what we wanted to do, she would just cry 'I quit!' and we would give in and let her have her way. After all, it had worked all those other times she had long used the same ploy.

"That day that woman left my office stupified, but we stuck by our guns. We never did find anyone to 'fill her shoes,' but her control over our corps and the officers died that day and a new freedom grew in it's place."

- - - - -

I have taken this story to heart and used it's wisdom many times. I have come to realize there is no employee, no soldier, no volunteer (et al) you can't live without. If they're out to wrest control, then we're always better off without them. God will always provide someone to fill that void. IF it's needed in the first place.

Now don't take me wrong here. I'm not happy to lose people and I don't intentionally chase anyone away; it breaks my heart. In fact, I agonized over every one we've seen walk away over the years. Every last one. I'm still praying for the return of some to this very day. But to then see the freedom that rises up in place of the old control is absolutely awesome!

God is NOT happy with anyone controling his children. In fact, he's so much against it, he doesn't do it himself even when the act would save their eternal lives! He's given us free will and he'll never take it back even when he knows some will choose to walk away from him.

It breaks his heart more than mine.

2 comments:

Captain Andrew Clark said...

Yup...I've learned that lesson Doug and will be applying it in the future after a couple of years of trying to do the opposite! Its so true.

kathryn said...

new freedom is wonderful. .