Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Intimidation 3

The best counter to simple intimidation is confidence. But I'm not talking about a puffed-up false bravado, rather the confidence of who we are in Christ.

When I was younger I had some issues with self-esteem. Most people do- especially in those peer-intensive teenage years! But at some point I moved beyond caring what "other people thought" about me and began trusting more in what God thought about me. Somewhere in the midst of that, I found I was not easily intimidated by other people.

Here are a few promises that are helpful in seeing clearly who we are in Christ:


But you belong to God, my dear children. You have already won your fight . . . because the Spirit who lives in you is greater than the spirit who lives in the world. - 1 John 4:4

But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. - 1 Peter 2:9

For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. - Ephesians 5:8

You are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with God's people and members of God's household, - Ephesians 2:19


Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, "Abba, Father." So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir. - Galatians 4:6

You are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. - 1 Corinthians 12:27

If you find yourself often intimidated by people or in a specific situation right now, take hold of these promises from God himself. Better yet, look a few up for yourself- they'll be even more powerful for you, because Holy Spirit will guide you to specific things he wants you to know.

I love it when he does that!

No comments: