Thursday, May 26, 2005

Communication- What a Concept!

Isn't it amazing how a little misunderstanding can make such a big difference? Yesterday Nicole (our Youth and Music Ministries Pastor) left a message on our corps answering machine. This is what we got from the person listening to the message:
"I've got to pick up my car from the repair shop. I'll be in a little late."

All day long, no Nicole. She missed programs she was involved in and when we called, all we got was her "leave a message." No response. No one seemed to know what was up and where she might be. We all worried a bit throughout the day and continued to call, hoping to reach her and find out what had happened.

About 9:30 PM, the phone rang. It was Nicole- whew! What's was wrong? Nothing. The message she left on the machine was:

"I've had something important come up. I won't be in all day. Please tell people I won't make the programs."

Communication- what a concept! Now if we had heard the message as it was supposed to be, no one would have worried.

So how clear are you incommunicating the Gospel message? It's as plain as day, but often people don't get it so simply. They think God is "out to get them." They think God causes all kinds of pain in the world. Where do they get this miscommunication? From those of us (who mean well), who just plain get the message messed up, that's where! What kinds of grief are caused because of this little issue?

Make the message simple and clear. K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) as my Dad used to say!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff! That really makes me think about how well I have communicated Jesus to others...wow

Jennifer Lauren

Anonymous said...

You rock beyond words Doug. Check out my Xanga site. I think it rocks. http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=trtljzz
I'll talk to you when I get home from New York or if you want you can call me. 229-6505. You know to see how things are. I love you and praise God for your friendship.

<3 Shannon