Monday, May 09, 2005

A Little Help?

I need a little help. I'm trying to find a book on the gift of tongues. Now, I can find lots of books on the subject, but they all seem to be coming from the Pentecostal view that believes the gift is evidence of being filled with the Holy Spirit. In other words, everyone who is filled with the Holy Spirit will have this gift.

Now I am filled with the Holy Spirit. But I don't speak in tongues. I have prayed for the gift many times and even "practiced" as I was told once after being prayed for to receive the gift- to no avail. I believe the gift of tongues is not given to everyone, just like the gift of evangelism is not given to everyone. Now maybe a lot of people do get this particular gift(1), but because some people do not receive this gift, it is by no means a sure sign that a particular person is filled with the Spirit. And what about the fact that Satan can imitate the gift via his own means? That puts a whole new spin on things, doesn't it?

It seems that much of the non-Pentecostal church has ignored the gift of tongues over the years. We certainly have in The Salvation Army. But as we become more open to the gifts the Spirit bestows on us, we need more information on the gift of tongues. At least I do. Especially for my teaching.

I'm now reading Larry Christianson's classic book, "Answering Your Questions About Speaking in Tongues." It has lots of good information, but I must throw out the bath water, while being careful to keep the baby. Can anyone recommend a good book on tongues that comes from a balanced view?

- - -
(1) C. Peter Wagner has done a lot of study in the area of spiritual gifts and has placed some loose percentages on how many Christians have some spiritual gifts. For instance, he believes that about 10% of the body of Christ has the gift of evangelism. I don't know if he gives a percentage for the gift of tongues.

1 comment:

Captain Andrew Clark said...

Hi Doug...can I suggest a book by Mark Stibbe called 'Knowing Your Spiritual Gifts' - it has a very balanced teaching on tongues.

Its interesting that the theologian, Wayne Grudem, comments that due to the nature of tongues, he would not be surprised if God did not distrbute the gift widely.

Sheesh..I've spent so much time exploring this gift and in my experience, whilst recognising that tongues is not a must have as a sign of the holy spirits baptism, God very rarely refuses the gift. Perhaps you might find someone who will pray for the releasing for the gift.

I believe that when we ask for a gift God gives - he delights to give good gifts to his children and to give us the desire of your heart. If this is a gift we sincerely disire our Father will give I believe.

Anyway, I recommend the book...its very good. If you can't find it, I will email you a copy of the said pages.

yours
Andrew