Friday, May 13, 2005

The Soldier Transfer Process

Debbie got me thinking recently about our Army's Soldier Transfer process. Here's what usually happens:

1) A Soldier moves into a new community.
2) They start attending a new corps.
3) They ask to have their soldiership papers transferred from their old corps.
4) A letter is written and the papers are sent to the new corps.

Sounds fairly simple, right? Well as far as the transfer goes, it is. But the question remains: Who is this person and what kind of soldier are they? Do they even remotely resemble the kind of soldier you desire to fight beside? Are you just transferring one corps problem to another corps? Is the other corps sorry to see them go or are they quietly rejoicing over their blessed relief (I've never gotten a letter telling me I don't want this person on my roles, but I have been sorry I received one or two)?

We are in the process of rebuilding a healthy corps. We have been sick for many years- terminally so. If nothing had been done, we were headed toward an inglorious death- all the while sadly reminiscing about "the good old days." Praise the Lord, that has changed and we are heading in a new direction- toward life and winning the world for Jesus!

I don't make soldiers who sit. I will not swear-in a soldier who doesn't show their willingness to be an active soldier. We work at helping them find a place to fit their giftedness into our mix. However, I have discovered I need to be as watchful and dedicated in my transfer-in process.

From now on, I will call or write the previous corps to "get the whole story" on transfers. I will also hold tightly to a trial period for requested transfers. If they show their salvation; if they show their activity and involvement; if they show their willingness to join in our fight instead of fighting against us (which is where this whole blog came from)- then and only then will I consider bringing them onto our rolls. It won't just happen because it is requested.

We're all about crafting a warrior elite for Jesus. I'm not interested in defeated warriors (or defeating warriors, for that matter)!

2 comments:

armybarmy said...

hey- with you. You know I won't accept transfers until they measure up.
grace,
stephenc
PS can I use exegete for JAC? Let me know please

Captain Andrew Clark said...

Hey...the bigger problem I have is with people who have been made soldiers (under a different shift) but who don't fight...I'm all for making soldiers warriors before enroling them, or at least having the assurance that they will fight. But what do you guys do with ones you inherit??