Monday, November 28, 2005

525,600 Minutes

Yup. You guessed it. We saw the movie Rent today. All I knew was it was about some struggling artists and I liked the "theme" song referenced above. Here are my thoughts a few hours after taking it in.

Good music- although I often feel like the melodies in many musicals are a bit jumpy. This was no exception, but the pieces that stood out were excellent- there was some good chording in there. The worst part was that when the instruments got loud, you couldn't hear the words being sung. In a musical, the words are important! The best part was the way all the main character's voices sounded- especially together! Some of the duets were incredible!

As was intentioned by the authors I'm sure, I really liked all the main characters and felt for their experiences throughout the movie. At the end, I felt good, but a bit sad. All in all I liked the movie and the general theme it presented.

What concerned me was the way it presented the homosexual lifestyle. Some of the characters had AIDS, but no one seemed to understand it came from that lifestyle. Now we need to be careful here- I don't hate homosexuals. I love them- as we all should. However, I don't condone their lifestyle. Just the same as I don't condone an addictive lifestyle (drugs or alcohol, etc- and the movie gave a clear message that drugs were bad) but I love those who find themselves caught in its grip.

I think there might be a lot less push for gay rights, if we Christians (in general) judged less and loved more. We are usually too good at condemnation, which is strange when Jesus fought so hard against that very thing. Remember how Jesus treated the woman caught in adultery? We should be so loving.

How do you measure a year in the life? Remember the love. Measure in love.

1 comment:

Christin ><> said...

Doug, there's an interesting discussion about this very topic going on over at curtiss hartley's xanga -- www.xanga.com/imwithys

Your input would be really useful over there.