Sunday, November 27, 2005

A Passion for . . .


I got my first Christmas card the other day. It was from The Salvation Army- some guy named Major Douglas Burr. You see, I'm on our Bangor Mail Appeal list and this year the company who handles our mailings enclosed a card with a "hand-written" note. We actually give to this appeal, by the way.

It's a nice card, but I noticed the picture on the front was a holiday decorated reindeer. Unlike Walmart, it does mention Christmas, but the spiritual significance of the season is couched in generalities (peace, hope, love); unlike our new National quip (Doing the Most Good), it does mention God (once, in the salutation: "Thank you and God bless").

Too bad we missed this opportunity to offer the Gospel message. Not even a biblical picture (manger, 3 kings, etc).

William Booth once said: "Some men's passion is Art. Some men's passion is Fame. Some men's passion is God. My passion is the Souls of Men." Have we traded our passion for Souls for a passion for Funds? Are we truly doing the most good?

I believe money will come if we keep our focus on the right thing. After all, my God owns the kettles in a thousand malls! I also believe if we stick to our "God" message, more people will give just because of that- even more than will not give if we water our message down, thinking we might offend givers.

While God is not obligated to fund my "grand schemes," he has obligated himself to fund his own plans- especially his plans to reach the entire world for himself. I've seen his faithfulness in the past. I'm living in his faithfulness right now for the vision he's given us in Bangor. He is always faithful!

If we're doing what he wants, we'll never be at a loss for funding. Never.

No comments: