Monday, April 25, 2005

Adonay

I must admit, when talking with God, I use "Lord" more often than any other form of address. Lord, implies a relationship- one of Master and Servant; Lord having complete control over the Servant (slave actually fits well here). Yet how often have I gone to my Master, called him Lord and not complied with his will? That flies in the face of the definition. One day every knee will bow and acknowledge his Lordship over all things. But Christians are supposed to be doing that now. I cannot call God "Lord" if I'm not completley abandoned to do his bidding.

Adon is Hebrew for Lord or Master that is often used as a term of respect. It carries with it the sense of owner- at the very least, superior. Adonay (a-do-NAI) is the plural of adon and always refers to God. Isn't it interesting that God as Master, is addressed in the plural (3-in-1, get it)? Adonay shows up in our Bibles as "Lord" while "LORD" is the translation of Yahweh, God's personal Name. If they appear together, the NIV uses "Sovereign Lord" (Hmm, I like Master Yahweh).

The question I must ask myself this morning is, "Is Yahweh really Lord of my life, or do I just give him lip service?" I must be honest in my response, because it means nothing to call God "Lord," yet not really put myself willingly in the position of humble Servant, ready to do his will at a moment's notice. My will must be supressed, even ignored. His will must be supreme and always obeyed.

I will be thinking twice every time I call God Lord from now on. My desire is to make it truth and not just an empty word.

No comments: