Friday, April 22, 2005

Working Myself out of a Job

Tonight, my youngest child, Chris, got his driver's permit. Yup, he passed the test after finishing his driver's ed classes. I can hardly believe it- he was just toddling around the house, getting into things a few days ago, wasn't he? His biggest gripe after class was that all his friends were driving their parent's cars away from class, but not him because we had the big 15 passenger van (Mom has the minivan at school)! Well, as much as I rib him about his driving, he's doing fine and I expect him to be a good driver. It all came quite naturally to him.

None of us is getting any younger. The old Cat Stevens song comes to mind: "The Cat's in the Cradle." There was a day when I couldn't keep Chris off of me when I walked in the door. Now, it's rare he looks up from his computer to even say "hi." He's growing up and I'll never have any of those old days again.

Not that I'm too sad about it, mind you. I love it when they get old enough to have good conversations with them (I well remember one of my first long serious spiritual talks with Jenn. It was awesome! Now, they happen often- PTL!). And that's the way it's supposed to be. My parenting job is all about preparing my children to live life on their own. I don't want to make them dependant on me. The way I see it, I'm supposed to work myself out of the job!

I thank all of you who spent time praying for our daughter Jenn. She's turned out to be a wonderfully gifted, Spirit-led young woman. I'm so proud of her- in the right way. Now I ask you to continue to pray for Chris- that he experiences God for himself and continues the process of growing up into the person God designed and needs to serve him.

PS: Don't stop praying for Jenn!

No comments: