Sunday, April 17, 2005

Six Resolutions

When William Booth was 20 years old he penned 'Six Resolutions.' They were discovered after his Promotion To Glory. They are as follows:

1. That I will rise every morning sufficiently early to wash, dress, and have a few minutes, not less than 5, in private prayer.

2. That I will, as much as possible, avoid all that babbling and idle talk in which I have lately so sinfully indulged.

3. That I will endeavor in my conduct and deportment before the world and my fellow servants especially to conduct myself as a humble, meek and zealous follower of Christ, and by serious conversation and warning endeavor to lead them to think of their immortal souls.

4. That I will read no less than four chapters in God's Word every day.

5. That I will strive to live closer to God, and to seek after holiness of heart and leave providential events with God.

6. That I will read over this every day or at least twice a week.

God help me, enable me to cultivate a spirit of self-denial and to yield myself a prisoner of love to the redeemer of the world.

I feel my own weakness, and without God's help I shall not keep these resolutions. The Lord have mercy upon my guilty soul.

1 comment:

- Servant of God - said...

Hey Doug,
Thanks for your posting, it was very powerful to read our very own Hero's resolutions. it really made me think of what my resolutions are or should be!!

keep fighting the good fight!!
Blessings!