Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Setting the Example

Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young. Instead, set the example . . .
- 1 Timothy 4:12


I was taught a serious lesson this past week- a lesson in trusting God. And this lesson was taught to me by one much younger than I, in fact, she is my daughter!

I watched and prayed as a situation I had no control over played out in her life. I "worried" that she would respond in anger. I was getting all my parental hackles up and was preparing to jump into the situation myself to try to protect her from any pain (she had no idea what was going on in my head). Then I got an email from her in which she told me how she felt about it all. She was trusting God had his hand in it and was submitting to the situation, believing God had a greater purpose that she just couldn't see at the moment.

I was floored! My little girl (who is usually so much like her Dad in these kind of things), has grown so much that she is able to trust God even in the middle of difficulties. I looked back on some of my own recent struggles and realized she was doing much better than I. She was setting the example for me. And I am not above learning from anyone- especially those younger than I.

You see, when we read that verse above, we often think of our side of the equation- "don't let anyone look down on you." But there is another implied side: "Don't you look down on anyone younger." How often have we missed a lesson or blessing just because it came from someone we considered to be younger than us?

Thanks Jenn, for "getting up to the plate and swinging for the fence." You hit that one out of the park! You are a wonderful example to your Dad and you taught me a powerful lesson. I know I risk embarrasing you by writing all this here, but I am proud of your growth and am only too happy to let you stand on my shoulders to get to the higher plane God has designed for you.

Keep setting the example and setting the bar high. You'll clear it and so will those you minister and relate to.

1 comment:

Christin ><> said...

You have no idea how much this entry blessed my heart this morning. I tend to have a huge "timothy complex" -- and just yesterday, i had a major freak out -- nobody takes me seriously, i'm too young to have an effective ministry, yadda yadda yadda.....

exactly what the Lord wanted me to hear this morning.
Thanks bro!