Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Yahweh Yireh

Yahweh Yireh (yah-WEH yir-EH), usually seen as Jehovah Jireh, is God the provider. The name is first seen in scripture when Abraham was told to sacrifice his son, Isaac. As they approached the moutain for the offering, Isaac asked his father where the lamb was they were going to slay. Abraham told him, "The Lord will provide."

I wonder what Abraham was thinking. Was he covering so his son wouldn't be upset or did he have faith to believe that his Provider-God would not actually go through with his original order? Did he believe that God would stop him and provide another offering in his son's stead? Either way, God was pleased with Abraham's faith and Abraham saw yet again, how his Provider came through for him.

None of us have been asked to offer such a costly sacrifice and yet how often do we balk at God's more simple requests? When we look back, we realize there was one from whom this terrible offering was required. God required it of himself. He himself required that he give his only Son so that we could be provided for.

It seems the human tendency is to remember the times we didn't get what we wanted. Take some time today and think over the many ways God has provided for you. That's a good way to recall how Yahweh Yireh has come through for you! You are blessed!

Jehovan Jireh, my provider! His grace is sufficient for me
(for me, for me)!
Jehovan Jireh, my provider! His grace is sufficient for me!
My God will supply all my needs,
According to his riches in glory.
He will give his angels charge over me-
Jehovah Jireh cares for me (for me, for me)!
Jehovan Jireh cares for me!

No comments: