Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Watch it Happen!

Many people have recently asked me why I root for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays Baseball team. I'm not really tired of answering them, but for those of you who don't know my favorite team, here's the full scoop:

1) Years ago, when we lived in Cincinnati I rooted for the Reds, but I haven't really followed Baseball since then. My folks retired to St. Petersburg, Florida and we take at least part our annual vacation there. Since the Devil Rays became a major league team, we always go to a game while there. One day I realized, the Rays are the only team I've seen in person, in over 30 years! So I decided they're my team.

2) I love their team colors (Green and Black, with some blue and white thrown in)! Just don't blame me for their starting year colors nor lame jerseys that year!

3) Carl Crawford is my favorite player (with a close second of Joey Gathright, who's been back and forth from the AAA Durham team until he matures a bit more- the first few games of this year were incredible watching Gathright and Crawford on base at the same time stealing! Five between them in one game alone!).

4) You gotta love a team that can do as well as they do with the smallest payroll in baseball! Sure they could buy the World Series, like some other teams have done, but it takes a lot more perseverance to grow your young players in the farm system. Just wait until these young guys come out to play.

5) Lou Pinella is doing an excellent job of working with what they've given him (finances and players). He really is a great coach.

6) Tropicanna Field is a nice place to visit.

And now for my spiritual reason:

7) One of my spiritual gifts is Faith. So when I root for the Rays, I practice and develop my gift. I just have faith they're gonna do it! What kind of faith does it take to root for a team that wins year after year? One day, I will know what the Red Sox fans felt like when their team finally won!

Watch it Happen! is the Rays team advertising blurb this year. I'm watching! Go Rays!

PS: We beat the Yankees last night and are now tied with them for last place in our division! Steinbrenner is gonna be ticked- big time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know about Pinella, he seems more trouble than he's worth.

Case in point
http://devilrays.myblogsite.com/blog/_archives/2005/4/28/628783.html