Friday, April 08, 2005

Who Are You Anyway?

“When I want to end a relationship, I just say, ‘You know, I love you. I want to marry you. I want to have your children.’ Sometimes they leave skid marks.” (Comedian Rita Rudner)
[copied from Ruhani's blog page]


Hmmm. Sounds to me like this is very similar to people at church (not the "have your children" part, just the "I love you" part- or just simply "I want to get to really know you").

Why are we so afraid of the people at our church getting to know us? I think it's because we're afraid they'll see us for who we really are- not just who we pretend to be while we're at church. Yikes! Worse yet- we're afraid we'll see ourselves for who we really are- not just the person we make ourselves believe we are. Double Yikes!!

Who are you anyway?

It's a good thing God loves us despite who we really are! It doesn't matter to him who we are (well, it matters, he just won't reject us because of our failings). We can't hide from God. He knows us even better than we know ourselves.

Are you afraid others will find out your secret- who you really are behind that mask? Are you afraid to know who you really are? Take a tip from God, who knows us best:

Long ago the LORD said to Israel: "I have loved you, my people, with an everlasting love. With unfailing love I have drawn you to myself. - Jeremiah 31:3

No matter what others think of you, God will always love you. Actually, it doesn't matter what others think of you anyway! That should give you a little courage to face the truth.

No comments: