Wednesday, April 06, 2005

God is with you

In my inner healing and deliverance ministry, I have discovered a pattern. More often than not, people don't really believe that God is with them. Oh they know it in their heads, but they don't believe it in their hearts; they don't experience the truth of God's presence. But what a difference in that mere 12 inches (the distance from your head to your heart)!

Often when we have had a troubling experience in our past, we feel alone in our suffering. In that moment of pain, we were totally focused on how badly we hurt- to the exclusion of looking around to find Jesus in that place. But when we revisit that experience in our memories, we can "freeze-frame" what happened and take a closer look around the room. In my experience, we always, always find Jesus was there. Not only was he there, he was concerned for us and actively involved in the situation- either protecting us, keeping it from being worse, ending it sooner or providing the strength to survive it. He didn't cause it, he was grieved that The Enemy got one over on us. Learning that fact alone, is empowering and healing!

Imagine the truth of this statement: God is always with you! Don't just read that as a platitude, meditate on it until you begin to grasp the depth of the reality and move it the full 12 inches from your head to your heart.

David had spent much time "alone" and realized there really is no such thing! He shared his wisdom with us and said it well:

I can never escape from your spirit! I can never get away from your presence! If I go up to heaven, you are there; if I go down to the place of the dead, you are there. If I ride the wings of the morning, if I dwell by the farthest oceans, even there your hand will guide me, and your strength will support me. I could ask the darkness to hide me and the light around me to become night— but even in darkness I cannot hide from you. To you the night shines as bright as day. Darkness and light are both alike to you.
- Psalm 139:7-12

I wonder what our struggles would be like if we actually practiced this knowledge? Here's a thought: in the middle of your next tough situation, stop a moment, take a deep breath and look for Jesus right then and there. I guarantee you'll find him, because he is there and he wants you to know it.

1 comment:

Jim Knaggs said...

Great thoughts. Thanks.