Thursday, May 25, 2006

A Prayer Challenge

I've concluded that most Christians only give lip service to the concept of prayer. If we truly believed it "worked," we would actually practice it.

I mean really spend time in prayer . . . as opposed to offering a "quick shot" up to God and heading back to what we were doing . . . or off to "more important things." {IS there anything more important?}

When we talk about prayer, we always conclude that there is nothing more important. But then we go back to those more important things and ignoring prayer! What gives? We know the truth, but we ignore it.

How much time do you pray? Have you heard that the average daily time a pastor spends praying is 3 minutes a day? How sick is that? How can you claim to be in "God's service" and only spend 3 minutes with him in a day? And why should we blame pastors for their poor prayer habits when the average Christian probably has a much worse prayer habit?

Example: I'm stationed at a corps where we had a daily prayer meeting going on for over 2 years. I have been told (by one who attended those meetings) that one day, one of their corps officers said something like: "what use is this?" and stopped those meetings. Now I have intentionally ignored finding out who that officer was, because I fear running off half-cocked to find that guy and punch him out!

Example: I can't count how many times I've been to TSA events where prayer meetings aren't even scheduled. Or they are scheduled and 3 people show up! Or they are scheduled only 1/2 hour out of the entire event!

If we believed prayer worked (I mean REALLY believed it), wouldn't we schedule our events the other way around? How about a week-long prayer meeting (24/7) and 1/2 hour of making the decision we came to meet for in the first place?

If we believed prayer worked (I mean REALLY believed it), wouldn't we identify those who are gifted in intercession and appoint them in positions where they could spend most of their time in prayer (of course, that should hold true for ever other spiritual gift as well)? Can you imagine having an officer appointed to THQ or DHQ to pray? I don't mean a prayer ambassador or sergeant, but actually giving someone the responsibility to spend the majority of their time actually praying. I know of at least one leader who actually has a job like this- he is paid to pray 8 hours every day.

If we believed prayer worked (I mean REALLY believed it), wouldn't Christian adults be crowded around a Youth Councils event actually praying (during the event) for the youth involved?

We had a seriously powerful Youth Councils last weekend. Imagine how much MORE powerful it would have been; how many MORE lives would have been changed if we REALLY believed prayer worked and practiced praying.

I hope these thoughts are challenging you. But I hope they challenge you to actually DO something about it- like start REALLY praying.

We all believe in tithing a 10%. If we carry that through to everything (not just money), we should spend 2 1/2 hours in prayer every day! Imagine what that would do to the Church! Imagine how soon we'd reach the world for Christ!

Okay- here's the deal: I challenge you to pray 1 hour a day for the next week. I don't mean adding up all the moments of prayer throughout the day until you reach 1 hour, I mean get in one place with God (and your Bible and a note pad) and communicate with him for 1 full hour (that means talking AND listening).

I made that commitment years ago and it changed my life. I don't always live up to that commitment, but when I fail, I get up, dust myself off and start all over again. Ultimately I do a pretty good job of it, by Gods grace.

If you find praying 1 hour a day works out well for you, why not keep it up for another week? Or maybe a month? A year? The rest of your life?

If you're up to the challenge, leave me a comment. After the week, let me know what happened.

11 comments:

Rebekah Dooley said...

random quote that stuck with me.'

prayer doesn't make the difference, Prayer is the difference.

kathryn said...

i accept your challenge!!! I won't count today's *I mean yesterday's* prayer. . cos its 1 a.m. and a new day is here --

The other night I had been given an update on a terminally ill young mom *I didn't know her* whom I had been praying for -- I had started 'great guns' praying for her healing and she was making fantastic progress and all those who were praying in person and in cyberspace were thrilled!! Then I got into this personal funk and all my prayers dried up. . i wasn't listening to God either - a few days into my selfish funk I received some pictures of the person i was praying for - of her and her husband and children and I looked at these pictures for the first time and I and WEPT and WEPT. . . i could not stop - it was intense - i didn't know these ppl, yet i felt such a connection - my heart was so full of pain. I thought: "Okay, that was a fluke, it wouldn't happen again if you looked at those pictures again." I was wrong! I viewed them again and I wept - i didn't set my mind to, it was so automatic - my heart was pained and my mind was saying :"Whoa, what's all this?"

I went to brush my teeth - it was time to turn in. As I brushed, God said to me: "Kathy, its your job and responsibility to pray for others. Don't fall asleep on the job - if you do - everyone loses, including you." To which I felt a stab of conviction and I had to confess to Him: "Yes, God - it is. . and I'm so sorry that I haven't seen it that way before."

Anonymous said...

i once had a pair of officers who decided that the corps prayer chain was too big so they limited it to 5 people. i'm not sure i was ready to 'punch them out', but it was pretty disappointing.

for the record, i don't spend time in prayer because i think it 'works'. that kind of thinking doesn't really do it for me. what do you say to a woman who prays for her husband's cancer and he doesn't get better, or to a father whose son tragically dies before coming to the Lord? prayer 'works', right?

i pray because it enables me to enter into a deeper relationship with God. it's not about wish fulfillment or hoping that it works, but trusting that He knows best and is in ultimate control of every situation, regardless of whether or not the answer to my prayers jives with what I think should happen.

i don't think it's all about how much time we pray either. we are indeed called to 'pray without ceasing', but i believe our prayer life must be backed up with service, that we may be the answer to prayer in people's lives helping them to see Jesus though us. That is pretty important, I would say.

I don't know, just some thoughts i had in reading this post.

Anonymous said...

correction.

i meant to say "i pray because it enables me to enter into a deeper relationship with God", hoping that all may come to know Him and His great love.

just to clarify...

kathryn said...

i think this challenge isn't about time so much as about habit formation. . for me, i find that having a 'task' helps keep me motivated. Being accountable does too -- a help to spiritual discipline, which i really need!

Aurora said...

I like that whole 'pray without ceasing' business...except that somedays it's more like I 'cease without praying'....need to work on that!!

Aurora said...

I like that whole 'pray without ceasing' business...except that somedays it's more like I 'cease without praying'....need to work on that!!

Seeker of The Light said...

Yeah Ian, we should certainly be praying in order to develop our relationship with God. I can't deny you're right there!

But the more I thought about that, the more I also thought that it's kinda two-sided. One, prayer develops our relationship with God and Two, prayer causes things to happen that would not otherwise happen if we did not pray.

In short, prayer gets us closer to God AND it works! :)

Seeker of The Light said...

Berta, it's great seeing you grow! Pray your heart out and watch God move- in your life AND in the lives of others around you.

Prayer changes things. No doubt. But perhaps more than anything, prayer changes YOU!

Anonymous said...

You're right, there's no denying that there is power in prayer. It just seems to me that to promote prayer as something that 'works' is too results oriented and may give people a false sense that there may be something wrong if God doesn't answer the way we want him to.

One other thought...I think that as we continue to pray, we grow closer to God through prayer and He enables us also to do things that we would not otherwise have done, we become the embodiment of answered prayer in other people's lives and that is very cool.

Prayer is huge, no doubt.

Seeker of The Light said...

Well said, Ian! I am dealing with someone right now who is mad at God because his prayers are not being answered.

Much of our relating of Christianity to other people involves misunderstanding on both our parts which cause us to do things legalistically- almost as if it were "magic." "Do 'this' and 'this' will happen."

We must constantly fight against legalism and formulas.