Thursday, May 04, 2006

Salute and Delete!

Some of us were reminded recently that The Salvation Army has an official position about salvationists (and others) using official Salvation Army logos on their web pages and blogs. Simply put: it's not allowed. The reason being "The Army" (whoever that is) is concerned with the public getting confused as to what may or may not be official Salvation Army position. In other words, someone might say something on their page that gets somebody mad at The Army without the comment being an official Army position or statement.

At the moment, I'm not sure what I think about it. I can see both sides:

1) Logos are registered and The Salvation Army should have control of where it's logo is used (I'd hate to see Army logos showing up on XXX sites).

2) A lot of people are rallying behind The Army and it's mission. There is an excitement that is building that is showing up with people wearing shirts, jackets, dog tags, hats, etc promoting and advertising their beloved Army. This excitement is naturally showing up in places where people can express their love and commitment- the internet.

The Army has been talking a lot recently about "branding;" making our logo(s) a brand(name) that people automatically recognize and relate to something positive. Isn't people's use of Army logos a valid aspect of such branding (don't we want our logos to be visible)? Are people really thick enough to believe someone's personal blog can speak for the entire Salvation Army?

What do you think?

Just remember no matter what you or I think, it's not likely to make a difference in official Salvation Army policy. Bottom line: we obey the rules set by our leaders whether we like them or not. Right?

I guess some people need to get busy- salute and delete. ; )

BTW, I don't officially speak for The Salvation Army on this blog. the opinions expressed herein are solely mine and other people making them. The Salvation Army should not be held responsible for such brilliance (or stupidity, as the case may be). {heh, heh}

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

my rebellious self wants to put a logo on my xanga daily and find other ways to break this rule. it be kinda funny for someone in high power to come after me....but how wud that be showing Gods love to me?

Seeker of The Light said...

I might ask how your rebellion would be showing God's love?

Seeker of The Light said...

BTW I might also add that the ruling of which I speak has been issued in the 4 USA territories. I don't know if other territories/commands have any similar regulations. Anyone out there know?

It could be only we are restricted in this manner. That would certainly be sad!

Larry said...

funny stuff and yet at the same time stimulating.


personally, i agree that i do not speak for the whole of the salvation army, so i would never put the shield, crest or whatever on my blog.

i do think, however, that there are times when we can go a bit overboard with regulation. in particular, i am thinking about the uniform. it is a whole different discussion for another time.

so, get willie's pic off of our blog. you are using sa imagery. you might get confused for someone who is corporate ;)

Aurora said...

I am the Salvation Army.

Aurora said...

...or is it The Salvation Army?
(seriously, I think there are more important fish to fry than hounding people for being proud of their faith and their church...isn't that what they say about show biz...even negative publicity is still publicity....I thought some of William Booth's best publicity makers were the critics who railed against the Army's 'rash' tactics at winning souls, to the point that people were moved to check out what all the hooplah was all about concerning this 'Salvation Army' group....too bad people would rather judge and point fingers than ask questions these days.)

Anonymous said...

Note: wording in parentheses does not neccesarily denote the official position of The Salvation Army as a whole, it's officers or it's general, but only of one Salvationist soldier who is prepared to fight to the death for her Lord Jesus Christ as much as it would help to win other souls to Christ through her witness and testimony to the Truth.

Aurora said...

ah! there I go unveiling my identity again! (nuts!)

Anonymous said...

seriously, how many comments can one person make on someone else's blog?
(Some people have way too much time on their hands Saturday mornings!)

Dave C said...

Doug: I've been wondering about this topic since we got the "official correspondance" from DHQ.

The email refernced a particular Minute, and said "any registered tradmark". The flag, the pic of William...do we need to delete/change these?

Wondering Out Loud,
Dave

Naomi said...

Eh, what, huh?

Hmmm... I'll try to remember to chase this up over here in Aus. I haven't gotten any reprimands, official or otherwise, as yet. I did originally check out the public SA (Aust) comment on use of the shield etc, and it seemed that my use of it fit within guidelines. Anyway, that doesn't mean I didn't misinterpret. If you see the shield disappear from StreetWar, you'll know I did! :-)

Seeker of The Light said...

Dave, "registered logo" means Shield, crest, flag (there must be more- Cap? Bonnet? Uniform?). I don't believe it covers pictures of people or graphics of people. I don't think William Booth is a registered trademark.

I've wondered about my graphic from ArmyBarmy. It has the shield on it, but it's not my graphic on my site- it's a link to a Canadian Salvo site. Since it appears they don't have the same guidelines we do, I'll assume I'm okay there.

I'll let you know if I get demoted or something! ;)

Dave C said...

so, i guess my waving flag is against the law! oh well...i'll have to find something else then.