Monday, May 08, 2006

What Would People Think?

You know, the more I think about this identifying ourselves with The Salvation Army through logos and such, the more I wonder about things like:

- Should I tell people I'm a Salvation Army officer (or soldier)? On my blog or even in person? What would they think if I did something they didn't like?

- Should I wear my uniform? What if I say something (while in uniform) and people think it's the official position of TSA?

- Should I be seen going into a Salvation Army building? Would people watch me at other times and assume I speak for TSA all the time?

- Should I use Salvation Army lingo and terminology in my daily conversation?

- For that matter, should I use Christian terminology? What if people knew I was a Christian and assumed I spoke for Jesus Christ?

In 1 Corinthians 11:1 Paul says: "Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ." Oh no! Do you think people would take Paul's actions and compare them to Jesus'?

Yes they would. And they should! It certainly makes one aware of one's own actions and words when they are rightfully connected to God. What do people think when they hear my testimony and see me living daily? Do I mess up? Yup (now and then)! Does Christ disown me when I do (need I answer that one)?

Should TSA disown it's soldiers because they want to be associated with the "Blood and Fire" (can I use those words here- good thing I don't have a picture of it)?

Methinks they dost protect too much.

So now you know on which side I've decided to stand in this issue. I'll still comply, because I've agreed to be subject to TSA's rules and regulations. But I will work within the framework to change things that just don't make sense.

For instance: did you know at one time, there was an official USA Eastern Territorial Minute that said we could ONLY use the King James Version of The Bible? I hope the former Minute mentioned is destined to join this latter one!

4 comments:

Captain Andrew Clark said...

The Army are great at promoting peace-time issues during war! I'll need to tell some of my soldiers to take the flags out of their windows of their homes in case people overhear a domestic argument and bring discredit to the Army! :o) No..on the other hand, I don't think I will. :o)

Lets stick crests and shields and flags and all manner of things everywhere that the world would know His Army still fights a visible fight. How the enemy would love us to disappear!

Gideon son of Joash said...

shouldn't dost be doth??
Me thinks thou doth protect too much.

Rebekah Dooley said...

just want to say hello and be blessed.

Anonymous said...

I was speaking at a conference in the states this weekend and one of the teens asked: "do I have to be perfect before I witness to others?"

Although your first reaction is likely, "well of course not", it's reasoning sounds kinda like the reasoning behind this new regulation.

We don't want the world to know that we are not always perfect and that we are sinners like everyone else. We don't want the average web-browser to get an uncensored version of the army. We can't let our faults be seen, we must always come of as perfect. Frankly that kind of deception only leads to accusations of hypocrisy.
Unless it goes through the PR people the Army doesn't want it said. I'll remember that next time someone asks me what church I go to.


Peter Lublink
www.lublink.ca