Wednesday, March 23, 2005

El Roi

Here begins a weekly blog (we'll see how weekly it actually becomes) about a different name of God. I'm reading a book by Ann Spangler: "Praying the Names of God." In it, she spends a week of study and devotional work on a name of God. So far, I like it and have gotten a lot out of it (in fact, I'm preaching this Resurrection Sonday on today's name).

El Roi (el raw EE): "The God who sees me."

This name is used only once in the Bible- Hagar uses it when she is running away from Sarai. God sends an angel to confront her attitude and sends her back. He gives her a great promise to hang onto, despite her coming troubles. In the process, she realizes that wherever she is, God is never too far away- he's always watching. And not just watching, he sees into the deep recesses of her heart. God really sees us!

Despite the fact that God has never failed me, each time I get in a tough situation, I act like this is the time he won't be there for me. What's that all about? He's not just watching, he cares! If God is concerned with even the tiniest of sparrows (Luke 12:6-7), how much more does he care for me (and you)?

1. There are hundreds of sparrows, thousands, millions,
They're two a penny, far too many there must be;
There are hundreds and thousands, millions of
sparrows,
But God knows every one and God knows me.

2.
There are hundreds of flowers, thousands, millions,
And flowers fair the meadows wear for all to see;
There are hundreds and thousands, millions of flowers,
But God knows every one and God knows me.

3. There are hundreds of planets, thousands, millions,
Way out in space each has a place by God's decree;
There are hundreds and thousands, millions of planets,
But God knows every one and God knows me.

4. There are hundreds of children, thousands, millions,
And yet their names are written on God's memory;
There are hundreds and thousands, millions of children,
But God knows every one and God knows me.


- John Gowans, Song Book of The Salvation Army.

I can trust God because I know he's watching. He's El Roi- the God who sees me.

1 comment:

Tara Ayer said...

Hey Doug,
That's so cool...I got the same book for my birthday and have also been brushing up on the Names of God. It really has been teaching me about getting back to the heart of worship by knowing WHO it is we worship by how He has revealed himself. It's good stuff! But I better save something for my own blog :)