Sunday, March 20, 2005

How "Real" is Our Imagination?

A few day ago a comment on one of my blogs got me thinking (again!):

"As your thoughts cause me to think of God's image, I'm drawn to a new imagination. It speaks of a dynamic process in which we are engaged. How about this? We are made in His imagination...a dynamic, living expression of His grace, unlimited and relevant in any culture, language or neighborhood. I'll have to pray about this..."

I have been wrestling with how "real" our imagination is via the "Spiritual Realm." Here's why:

When I cast out demons by telling them to "leave," they do so. But when a person imagining themselves with Jesus (a la the book "Can You Hear Me?"), tells a demon to "go" it also leaves- usually much easier and less stressful on the person. I see valid changes in that person's life afterwards. So that time of imagination, actually accomplishes something real in the Spiritual that affects our Physical (and Emotional) being.

I'm beginning to wonder if our imagination is a very "real" aspect of our spiritual self? The above thought of our being made in God's imagination, goes along with this right nicely! Could our imagination be spiritual reality (at least to some degree)?

Obviously, I could go way out to left field here, but that's why I work so hard on understanding these types of things- I want to get all the truth in it and toss the stuff that doesn't matter. No baby out with the bathwater here!

I've been meditating on this for some time now. Any thoughts from the rest of you?

1 comment:

Tara Ayer said...

Hi Doug,
That comment struck me as well and I have been chewing on it but my thoughts took a different direction. I was thinking about being a part of God's imagination and it took me on a real trip as I thought of the concept behind "The Matrix". Is the life I live and the existence through which I have my being, all contained within the imagination of God? I don't know...but it sure makes me wonder about a few things.