Saturday, March 26, 2005

The Knowing is in the Perceiving

As you know, I've been thinking about how our imagination intersects with God and the spiritual realm. I've also been thinking about El Roi (the God who sees) for my Easter sermon. Now with that in mind, watch what came up from the good ol' American Heritage Dictionary when I looked up the word "see:"

SEE 1. To perceive with the eye. 2.a. To apprehend as if with the eye. b. To detect by means analogous to use of the eye. 3. To have a mental image of; visualize. 4. To understand; comprehend. 5. To consider to be; regard. 6. To believe possible; imagine . . . To have the power to perceive with or as if with the eye.

Whoa! Now remember the comment from Jim Knaggs? "We are made in His imagination . . ." Double Whoa!

"The God who sees," means more than just watching like some disinterested Peeping Tom. Inherent in this meaning is that God knows us, understands us and cares about us. He knows every single hair on our heads (talk about unimportant)! God knows us because we exist deep in his imagination. We know God because he exists in ours (I'm not saying God exists because we imagine him). There is a connection and the knowing is in the perceiving.

I am beginning to understand a huge connection with our imagination and God (That's one of the reasons the book "Can You Hear me?" is so awesome and critical in this day). My mind is reeling with possibilities. By the way, the thinking process has only begun on this, so you just might hear about it again!

1 comment:

Jim Knaggs said...

Thanks, Doug. This is very instructive. I value the direction you're going here.