Sunday, March 06, 2005

We're all in this Together

The news is out. The #1 cause of leader failure is isolation. I got this news at our Officer's Retreat last week and it sparked an old issue I have with the way many officers relate to their people. When I was in Officer's Training, I remember debating endlessly on this issue. Do we put ourselves in a special place "above" them or do we put ourselves on a level with them? The answer is not as simple as it may sound, but I believe when all the dust settles, we must be with the people.

I mean, if God came down to be on the same playing field as mere humankind, how can we possibly pretend that we should be on some kind of higher level? So we're "ordained." Big deal. Many of our people are trained and/or authorized in their roles as well. Who's to say we should be any different, except that those with more responsibility are going to be held at a higher accountablility level? And when we live a life of separation from the people, we find ourselves in isolation . . . which we now know leads to leader failure.

I intentionally do things which break down the wall between me and my people ("my people" is a misnomer- they are God's people- I am just a hired hand and could never care for them like The Shepherd). For instance, it's quite funny to see people, who for years have called the officer by their rank, struggle with calling me "Doug." The best I can get from some of them is "Major Doug!"

I am no different than anyone else. I am a child of God, redeemed by his grace, that continually wrestles with sin and the same issues any other person wrestles with. The only difference is my role- and we all have our roles. No one role should be held up any higher than any other. We can't do it without all the roles; all the parts. My role is not any more important than (what we would usually consider) "the least" of roles. I absolutely hate it when I see officers (or other religious leaders) lord it over people, because they think they are in such an important place! Rubbish!

Well, they are getting their comeuppance- they are finding it "lonely at the top." That isolation is not what anyone in the Body of Christ should be dealing with. We're all in this together and the last thing I am is alone.

No comments: