Friday, July 29, 2005

Dusting Off Rob, Adopting Heather

Saturday for class, we were graced with Danielle as our teacher. I am always amazed at how powerful a speaker she is- and that without any notes. She always seems to be speaking off the top of her head, yet has 9 or more awesome points! That day we had a great discussion on Poverty, especially the 3 poverties- Economic, Spiritual and Civic.

Later that evening, having already finished dusting off BTI students, we moved on to TWC students who had been attending classes with us throughout the week. I was a tad late to class and they were already in session with Rob, but I was immediatley pulled in by Holy Spirit and gave him some encouragement from the Lord. I then found myself laying down beside Rob, just to get close and soak up as much as I could of what God was doing in him. He seemed to be radiating all kinds of cool stuff! I was a blessed sponge (Rob is my hero)!

Next we prayed for Heather. To me, the Lord kept saying "adoption." As I prayed, I remembered that our Bangor Corps' scholarship (The Bramwell Tripp Memorial Scholarship) for the current year had not been used, because the person who was to receive it, could not get a visa and never made it to The War College. I had spoken with Steve and he suggested we apply the scholarship to a Phase 2 student and had mentioned Heather as one possibility. I was hearing adoption, so I felt God was saying we needed to sow into Heather by adopting her as our scholarship recipient. After class I mentioned it to Steve again and he agreed the Bangor Corps should give Heather our scholarship. When I told Heather, she seemed instantly blessed by the new connection. So was I!

In the next few days, I was to learn that God had much more in store for me with the word "adoption." As I mentioned in a previous blog, God was also telling me personally to adopt Heather (in a spiritual sense) as my daughter. That, I would also discover, would hold a much larger spiritual blessing for me. One that I am still sorting out and praying for more understanding.

Isn't it grand that God has chosen to adopt us into his family? He's such an awesome Dad! Not to mention that Jesus makes a fantastic older brother and Holy Spirit sure is the best mother!

2 comments:

YOU DONT KNOW MEEEeeee said...

i never really thought of holy spirit as a mother. maybe a crazy-uncle-jerry...but a mother? weird...
yeah.i like rob and heather. i dont think that was the point of your blob, but...oh well. i like them.
and you.

Seeker of The Light said...

Yeah, that sure is blog material, so I'll save more for later. However, there is scripture that points out the female qualities of God- like a mother hen, etc.

Our problem is, we see God as too much like us. He's not really "like" us at all! He just uses imagery that helps us get a handle on understanding him.

Also, Holy Spirit is the Comforter (as Jesus called him/her). Isn't the comforter's role considered a female trait?