Saturday, July 30, 2005

Exorbitant or Worthwhile?

Sunday AM a bunch of us went to Cariboo Hill. Michael Collins was the speaker and we knew he would be challenging any "pew sitters" who might be in attendance. He did. He also challenged people to step up to the plate to help pay off the recently incurred corps mortgage on a new wing of the building so that the money now used for that could go into the kids ministry. His logic was impeccable and it really made me think about where our Army spends our money.

It's a real conundrum. At what point is spending exorbitant and at what point is it justified because of the increased ministry opportunities created? For instance, we're now spending a weekend at our territory's Old Orchard Beach Camp Meetings. The whole event is 10 days long. Imagine what monies are expended for this annual event? I'm glad I don't have to handle the budget! However, I do have to handle my portion of it. The official TSA Minute gives us a huge amount to spend per night on accommodations. We shop around and get the best rate we can, but I know people who spend as much as they can (you should see some of the beautiful rooms I see people staying in)! And I don't even want to talk about what we are "allowed" to spend on meals per day! We use such a small portion of it (and eat just fine), but there are those who draw down the entire amount! I cannot imagine spending that amount in one day for meals! I'm not sure we could do it, if we tried! And why should The Army be paying for our regular meals anyway?

All that unconscionable stuff aside (I hope those people can sleep at night- or do I?), within bounds of reason, the expenses can be worthwhile because this week+ is packed with a long history of spiritual power and blessing. It would be impossible to count all the lives changed, all the recommitments, all the eternal decisions made. Maybe I already found my answer- "within bounds of reason."

I did not sign up in this Army to make money and get comfortable. Or to get as much as I can from "Uncle Willy." I am regularly aghast at how comfortable many of us have become while fighting in this war. But then, the question remains: can our fighting be very effective if we're comfortable?

Ask not what your Army can do for you. Ask what you can do for your Army.

No comments: