Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Anybody "There" Yet?

1. O the bitter shame and sorrow
That a time could ever be
When I let the Saviour's pity
Plead in vain, and proudly answered:
All of self and none of thee!

2. Yet he found me; I beheld him
Bleeding on th' accursed tree,
Heard him pray: Forgive them, Father!
And my wistful heart said faintly:
Some of self and some of thee!

3. Day by day his tender mercy,
Healing, helping, full and free,
Sweet and strong and, ah! so patient,
Brought me lower, while I whispered:
Less of self and more of thee!

4. Higher than the highest Heaven,
Deeper than the deepest sea,
Lord, thy love at last has conquered;
Grant me now my spirit's longing:
None of self and all of thee!
. . .Theodore Monod (1836-1921)—Song Book of The Salvation Army


So where are you in this experience process? Oh, I don't mean what you would tell your Corps Officer (what they want to hear), I mean truthfully! Can you face it honestly?

I must admit, I most often find myself right in the middle of verse two with some heavy leaning toward verse three every now and then. After all- none of self? Tell me, anybody "there" yet?

Oh Lord, grant my desire to reach this place, that I may be fully useful to your purposes in my life.

No comments: