Monday, February 07, 2005

A Baby Step in Wholeness

Are you up for a long one today? I just got a question from a friend who asked how I fight off sickness. Here's my answer (modified a bit for this forum).

The key is not so much in what you know as what you believe and then stand on as a promise. Let's start with scripture and definitions (emphasizing the important words):


[Jesus] was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him and by his wounds we are healed. - Isaiah 53:5 (NIV)

HEALED = rapha', (Hebrew 7495, Strong’s) a primitive root; properly to mend (by stitching), i.e. (figurative) to cure: cure, (cause to) heal, physician, repair, thoroughly, make whole. See Hebrew 7503 (raphah).

PEACE = shalowm, (Hebrew 7965, Strong’s) from Hebrew 7999 (shalam); safe, i.e. (figurative) well, happy, friendly; also (abstract) welfare, i.e. health, prosperity, peace: do, familiar, fare, favour, friend, great, (good) health, (perfect, such as be at) peace (-able, -ably), prosper (-ity, -ous), rest, safe (-ty), salute, welfare, (all is, be) well, wholly.

The Hebrew concept of Shalom is not just a greeting- it means "I wish you to be perfectly whole." That's not just spiritual, but emotional and physical as well- we are triune beings (as God is triune- we were made in his image). We usually spiritualize the Bible's message forgetting the other two aspects of what we are. Jews would not think that way. So to "have shalom," would mean you are whole- physically, spiritually and emptionally.

The word translated "healed," above, means the entire person is whole- not just spiritually- it includes the emotional and physical. So what this verse is saying is that Jesus' death paid the entire price- not only for our spiritual selves to be set free from the curse of sin, but includes our emotional (inner healing) and physical selves (bodies) as well. It is God's intent that we live in Shalom.

Again, we usually spiritualize the message and apply it to our "spiritual salvation." That's good, but it's only 1/3 of the entire message and meaning! But, I read it as God has provided a complete salvation from the effects of sin over our entire beings. Therefore, If I can believe in Faith that Jesus' sacrifice paid the price for my sin and he has forgiven me and set me free from it (1) spiritually, then I can also believe in Faith that Jesus' sacrifice paid the price for my sin and he has forgiven me and set me free from the (2) emotional baggage I carry (inner healing). I can also believe in Faith that Jesus' sacrifice paid the price for my sin and he has forgiven me and set me free from my (3) physical sickness/pain/issues as well. Whew! That's a mouthful and you'll need to unpack it for yourself, but I believe it to be truth.

So, just as we believe we are saved because we have Faith in God to forgive our sins and make us spiritually whole, we can also have Faith that our emotional baggage can be removed and make us emotionally whole. And the same is true for our physical bodies- we believe in Faith that we should be living whole- "sick-free," so to speak. Jesus' sacrifice was not partial, it was complete! Hallelujah!

When you feel sickness coming on, have Faith you do not have to receive it. It is The Enemy coming at you trying to convince you that you can't live in the fullness Jesus has already paid for you to live in. But that's a LIE! Fight it off!

As I said above, it takes time to get these thoughts from our mind into our heart, but when we do, we can stand against what The Enemy throws at us. We don't have to live in sickness. Sometimes it takes a quick prayer to fight it off, sometimes it takes a huge protracted struggle. I believe the times I have gotten sick since I internalized this truth, are because I did not take the time to properly fight them off. And when you don't stand up and fight, it takes over and you get sick (or I have not been taking care of my physical body by not sleeping enough or eating good, healthy foods). This is my experience.

I used to get sick all the time. Then I started fighting against it. Now I rarely get sick. Again, I believe when I do, it's because I haven't fought hard or long enough. And don't you Sometimes feel like you could actually use the rest of getting sick? You know, you feel it coming on, then concede you've "got a cold" because you'd just as soon take the time off to "rest!" I hated discovering this thought process in me! Yuck.

Now this is a baby step in Faith. I have a long way to go- especially when you start to consider something as huge as cancer- or even death! But I'm happy with my baby step. I pray God will illumine me more and I will get to take another step one day.

No comments: