Saturday, February 12, 2005

Obey

Does God ever tell you to do something and you just can't figure out why? You try to make sense of it, but it just doesn't happen. Here's an example from my own experience: "Pick up that blue scrap of paper on the ground and throw it in the trash."

So I look down and see paper scraps all over the place! It looks like someone dumped a trash can nearby and the wind blew it everywhere. Do you want me to clean up all this trash, Lord? "No. Pick up that blue scrap of paper and throw it in the trash."

By now, I've walked long past that piece of paper and I'm in a hurry. I still take a few more steps, but as I do, I realize I'm just going to have to go back further, because God's not going to let me off the hook! So I stop and turn around. The wind has blown that little scrap further away and I now have to go chase it!

But chase it I do. When I get it, I look for a trash can and can't see one anywhere! So I end up carrying that little blue scrap of paper with me for the next few minutes looking for a trash can and wondering what in the world this is all about. Well, there's a trash can. I toss it in and continue on my way, still wondering what that was all about. In fact, I'm still wondering today! I even began to wonder if I was indeed hearing from God or if I was just somehow making it all up in my mind.

Here's what I read in my devo book this morning: "Sometimes our obedience changes the lives of total strangers and sometimes it might even change the world. But most of the time, the impact of our obedience is seen only in our own hearts and in the joy of our God as he delights over a child who trusts him enough to obey him."

Hmmm. Good thought. 1 Samuel 15:22 says
What is more pleasing to the Lord: your burnt offerings and sacrifices or your obedience to his voice? Obedience is far better than sacrifice. Listening to him is much better than fat offerings.

I guess God was pleased that I listened to his voice- even in something as simple as picking up a piece of paper when it didn't make much sense to me. Maybe especially so, just because I was obedient.

The word for the day? Obey.

No comments: