Saturday, February 26, 2005

I'm OK, You're OK. Wait! I'm NOT OK, I Need Help!

I think that "I'm OK, you're OK" stuff stinks. Well, at least as much as it makes us think we're all we need to be within ourselves. I believe that until we realize we're not OK by ourselves and that we need each other, we're going to be in hot water (and the further away we're going to be from actually being OK).

What is it that makes us think once we get saved, we can go off in our own little world and ignore everyone else? Or that we don't need to be connected to a body of believers? Or that I should avoid you because you don't believe like I do or worship in the same way? You know what I've come to realize? I'm not OK and I need all you other Christians to make it in this life. And I do believe that just happens to be God's design.

I may not have very many common interests with you, but I need you anyway. I may not agree with all your beliefs or doctrines, but I need you anyway. I may not even like your personality, but I still need you. In other words, I'm not OK by myself. I need the body. I need help (okay, maybe I'm not the best example, 'cause everyone knows I need help)!

I think we turn a huge corner in our spiritual lives when we "get" this. We start applying sermons to our own lives (instead of the people next to us). We start listening to God's voice (instead of our own). We start caring for others (instead of ourselves). Things actually start changing because we realize we need help and we're not in this alone. Nor do we have to be.

Admit it. You need help too. And you know what? I'm committed to being there for you.

No comments: