Monday, February 21, 2005

"MY" Schedule?

Heather's blogging again! And she's writing similar thoughts to mine (great minds and all...). Cool! Check out the ArmyBarmy Blog for Saturday, Feb 19. Then read on here (click my title above to go right there).

Last week, as many of you regular readers know, I was sick. The kind of sick that makes you stay home in bed because you can't walk, talk or sleep. But I can only handle a few days of that, so I went to the office Friday after cell group and lunch. Besides, I was feeling better.

After a short while, I realize I'm still too weak to do all I wanted to do, but I check my mail-box anyway. I find a message from a couple who needs counceling now! One of the two was raised a Salvation Army Officer's kid, but has since left the church. Where to go in a crisis? Call the local Army Officer!

"Great! This is what I was made for!" I think, but realize I'm wasted. "O God, I can't! I can hardly talk! What if I pass out talking to them?" (Did somebody raise the temperature in this office?). But I pick up the phone and call anyway- maybe I can schedule a time next week . . . Nope. They've got professional counseling set up next week and want immediate help before then. It's now or never.

"Okay. Come on over, we'll be here." I know I just heard myself say that, but I can hardly believe it. Maybe I was halucinating! Minutes later, Deb and I find ourselves meeting with a couple in crisis. We didn't solve their problems, but we did remind them of the one who is their answer! And my voice lasted right to the end (but no longer)!

God set that appointment up for us, Friday. Oh he didn't cause the problem in the first place, but he did arrange for a connection to his body to share his love. I wonder what good he was able to do through us? I pray we find out and keep in touch.

What would have happened if I didn't go the extra mile? I'm not sure I really care to find out.

“[Love] has never cared about my schedule. It just barges in whenever it wants to.” - Miriam Makeba

Amen!

No comments: