Saturday, June 11, 2005

Life is Not Fair!

When my kids were little, I remember times when they would cry out: "That’s unfair!" My response was usually something like, "Life is unfair. We need to learn how best to deal with it." Well, today I cry: "Unfair!"

As I mentioned previously, our United Way has decided to zero-fund us for the next 3 years. That means over $100,000 of Soup Kitchen support needs to be found if we expect to keep feeding more than 100 people a day in our community. Then, as if that wasn’t enough, they (UW) threw salt on the wound by asking us to remain members anyway! I thought they were crazy until the Bangor Daily News printed an article yesterday on the subject. The United Way’s decision to "toss us out," looked like this: "We (UW) asked them to stay with us, but they (TSA) decided they’d rather try to raise money on their own."

We sent the BDN a Press Release a few days ago. A reporter called to speak with me. I was told the reporter was biased toward UW, so I asked her outright about that. She was aghast I would think such a thing. If she was biased, she would not be assigned to write the article. Sure enough, the reporter didn’t use anything from our press release. Instead, she wrote entirely from the UW’s point of view. Great. Why do I always seem to get burned by trusting reporters?

Here I was concerned with not making UW look bad (and believe me, I’ve got plenty of things to say about their inadequacies). But we took the high ground and I now find myself distressed over the way things are playing out. Unfair!

This morning I read the book of Esther. Therein, we learn about the evil Hamaan attempting to eradicate the entire Jewish race, because one guy (Mordecai) would not show him "respect." The law for their destruction was written and proclaimed and therefore could not be repealed. The Jews were doomed! Unfair!

Ah, but that’s forgetting the awesome God we serve! Before the story is over, the Jews were lifted up and Hamaan was hanged on the very gallows he had built just for Mordecai.

I know that very same awesome God. In fact, I serve him and our Army’s mission is to do the same. My situation may seem unfair at the moment, but if I keep my faith in him strong (and remain on the high ground), he will prove to be our deliverer as well!

Life is certainly unfair, but we need to learn how best to deal with it. Esther and her people prayed and fasted for their deliverance. Can I ask those of you reading this to do the same on our behalf? I’ll keep you posted so you too can share in the victory when it comes. Hallelujah!

4 comments:

Tara Ayer said...

Doug,
>IN LOVE< I offer you this quote from Railton to consider...

I intend carefully to instruct my children that if at any time they see The Salvation Army a wealthy, respectable concern, the majority of whose "soldiers" simply go where they please to attend its' "ministrations" leaving the godless undisturbed to perish; and if they see another set of people, however they may be clothed or despised, who really give up all to go and save the lost, then they must not for a moment hesitate to leave the concern their poor old dad helped to make, and go out amongst those who most faithfully carry out what the founder of the Army lad down in his writings and acts. May God preserve them from such a day by keeping The Army free from the love of money and ease.
--George Scott Railton, An Autobiograpy, Full Salvation. Jan 1, 1894.

Before we go listing the inadequacies of other organizations, I think it more fitting that we stand before God and the mirror that reflects the original purposes and mission to which The Salvation Army was raised up...Indeed, I do think we need to fast and pray...

This year at Fullness, Janet Munn spoke about fasting and one thing that really struck me was that sometimes we need to fast from words...in order that we would learn to trust God to defend our characters.

Food for thought?

Gideon son of Joash said...

I have nothing toi say. Tara said it all. but I still like leaving comments.

Aurora said...

It's a good thing that the business of soul-winning is a financially cost-free initiative, even though it will absolutely cost your life!

Gideon son of Joash said...

I have something to say Doug. Make Lemonade.