Sunday, June 12, 2005

A Positive Example

I praise God for the example of exceptionally spiritual leaders! Having spent the last few days at our Territorial Family Conference in Hershey, Pennsylvania, I had plenty of opportunity to see many of our DHQ/THQ leaders in action. Now it’s not my desire to be negative about anyone by not mentioning them, rather just point out three who really inspire me in my own spiritual walk (not in any special order).

Jim Knaggs (oops- Colonel James Knaggs!). Here is a man who exudes spiritual soundness and trust. He always seems to be cool and collected. There is a calming air about him (must be God’s peace) that just makes you rest at ease- hence the "Jim Knaggs" reference! Most people I know call him Jim instead of Colonel Knaggs. When he participates in a meeting (even offering a simple prayer), you can be sure God will not be far away.

Lt.-Colonel Gil Rynders. Besides his friendly, humble, confident spirituality, which is always evident, this weekend, when seated on the platform, he had his wife sit "ahead" of him in the politically correct seating arrangements (I dislike seeing that political stuff in action in our Army). All the others were husband first, then the wife. But when it came to the Rynders, it was wife first, then husband. Now that may not say much to you, but knowing the "importance" given to such things in that setting, it spoke volumes to me! Here is a man who values his spouse over his "importance." To me, that places him so much higher on the "spirituality scale!" (And huge kudos to Warna for her example of losing weight and trimming up! That speaks volumes as well).

Major Rick Munn. No surprise here! He always gets my "spirituality vote!" He offered a benediction after the commissioning (pulling heavily from a recent Steve Court blog) which properly redirected the attention of the ordination of the new Captains to the ordination of all believers. We were all ordained when we were sworn in as soldiers; we were all ordained when we were saved. This Army believes in the priesthood of all believers! Amen- preach it brother!

Thank-you Yahweh, for the positive spiritual influences on our lives! I pray my example will be a positive spiritual influence on others. What kind of example do you leave with people?

1 comment:

Aurora said...

I love remembering the spiritual giants in my life! They are always challenging me, and encouraging me at the same time to see bigger than my own little eyes can see. You can always detect the same glimmer of holy fire in their eyes through everything they do and say. Praise the Lord for Your fire that burns and cleanses and brings new life in the Salvation Army and to the world!