Wednesday, June 15, 2005

A Wave of Frozen Headlight

Ever feel like a deer in the headlights? I do. Often. It's mostly my personality- not one to usually deal with more than one thing at a time (unlike Debbie who can do many things at the same time, without batting an eye). When it seems like it's all coming too fast; when I feel like I just can't juggle it all without dropping something- The Enemy knows who I am and takes that opportunity to push hard.

It's then that I feel like a huge wave is crashing over me and I have no chance of surviving as I'm being trashed around on the ocean floor. My thoughts get frantic and I can't choose which step to take next. I need some room to breathe, but I can't even get close to the surface.

Anyone else out there ever feel like this?

I've learned that when these times come (and they will come), it's not God who is making me feel overwhelmed. It's not Holy Spirit who's decided to test me by throwing everything at me at once. I know that because a fruit of the Spirit is peace. When we are "centered" in Jesus, we will be at peace- no matter what the circumstances that are swirling around us.

Peace. Perfect peace. My peace, Jesus said.

I have trained myself to know this frantic feeling is The Enemy on the offense (and boy is he offensive!). I watch for it, because I know how devastating it can be to me if I give in to it. That's when I pull a matrix move! Everything goes into slow motion and I see it coming from afar. I take a deep breath and easily step aside and watch it hit the sidewalk and go splashing down into the gutter. Ha!

I've been feeling a lot of pressure lately, but I know the peace my savior brings when I trust in him. Peace enough to laugh at The Enemy's feeble attempts to catch me in a wave of "frozen headlight."

O the peace my savior gives,
Peace I never knew before.
And my way has brighter grown
Since I learned to trust him more!

No comments: